The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am going to be purchasing a buckling. she gave me the choice of which one. how do i figure that out with kid photos. they just look like cute babies.i can post photos this evening if that will help.

also i have two doelings that i plan on retaining one. how do i choose when they are only 1-2 months old?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I like the black one. He looks like he has much better body capacity, deeper, with a better brisket. His brother is not bad either (and Oak Apple breeds beautiful goats!) and of course the lighter one is much flashier, but your breeding stock should be chosen based on conformation and not color. That said, you're the one who has to look at him every day ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I like the black one. He looks like he has much better body capacity, deeper, with a better brisket. His brother is not bad either (and Oak Apple breeds beautiful goats!) and of course the lighter one is much flashier, but your breeding stock should be chosen based on conformation and not color. That said, you're the one who has to look at him every day ;)
I agree! He definitely looks wider which is super good! You want wide does so they can pass kids easier and hold a udder better.

·
Registered
Goats
1,351 Posts
I don’t think those are moonspots... Moonspots are grey.
Actually They vary in color Ranging from light creme to silver to tan to dark brown. They can come in many different colors, but will never be *true white or *true black. Moon spots on kids often (not always) start out dark and will lighten as they age.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Actually They vary in color Ranging from light creme to silver to tan to dark brown. They can come in many different colors, but will never be *true white or *true black. Moon spots on kids often (not always) start out dark and will lighten as they age.
Yep! I edited my comment because I know there is other colors. 😉

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yep they do! And I wasn't talking about the brown spots from the belly up to his head because moonspots can't be on white!
The spots on his neck/head are moonspots. They're not on white, they're on cream. Both boys are heavily moonspotted. Easier to see on the lighter buck, but the black buck's moonspots will almost certainly turn lighter as he ages so he should be a flashy boy too.

·
Registered
Goats
1,351 Posts
The spots on his neck/head are moonspots. They're not on white, they're on cream. Both boys are heavily moonspotted. Easier to see on the lighter buck, but the black buck's moonspots will almost certainly turn lighter as he ages so he should be a flashy boy too.
Sorry I couldn't tell if he was white or cream bec of the lighting lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you everyone...
i like the darker one but i dont like alot of white. i couldnt tell if the first one was white or cream. any one else have an opinion?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts