The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hatched out chicks earlier this year and now have the tough decision of picking out which rooster to keep. I did this a couple years ago and decided to keep the prettiest and friendliest. The one I could always pick up and hold. Turns out, he became a monster. He could see me from across the way, and run for me to attack. He snuck up on me a couple of times and attacked me from behind. Then when family was over, he attacked my sister and tried to get my fast nephew. He would jump our fence to the back yard to come and attack us. I never did anything mean towards him. Just one day, something at have snapped. I was in their run filling up water like normal and he got me from behind. And it continued like that forever. He is not a problem anymore, but he sure was beautiful. No we have 8 to choose from. Any tips or advice? Do I need to lay down the law somehow to keep my new rooster from turning on me?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
We normally kept ducks instead but growing up my uncle always kept chickens. He only kept one sweet rooster that stayed sweet. All the others over the years were the ones that would stay off by themselves and mind their own business. If any got out of line or two hard to handle they went on the grill and replaced. I preferred ducks because they were so much more gentle and had bigger eggs . Much harder on water if they don't have a pond but drakes are much easier to deal with than roosters.

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
482 Posts
Just my experience, but I found ducks to be much harder. They overall were jerks to my chickens when they were growing up and found it great fun to pull chickens down off the low roosts. They would also chase my chickens and pull feathers for fun. When they got older, my drake started picking fights with my chickens and actually killed my rooster so I shot all the ducks. They ate more, were way messier, dug holes all over the yard, and they never shut up. They were also really stupid which made the experience so much more infuriating.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just my experience, but I found ducks to be much harder. They overall were jerks to my chickens when they were growing up and found it great fun to pull chickens down off the low roosts. They would also chase my chickens and pull feathers for fun. When they got older, my drake started picking fights with my chickens and actually killed my rooster so I shot all the ducks. They ate more, were way messier, dug holes all over the yard, and they never shut up. They were also really stupid which made the experience so much more infuriating.
What breed was this? It sounds horrible! (And funny). It's not the typical narrative for ducks.

Regardless, on the OP's question regarding rooster selection...many intact males of many species can/will get mean, usually around 2 years. I've never had a severely mean rooster, like you describe, but we don't treat any of our chickens like pets. When they see you as friend, they also see you as part of the flock, and are establishing dominance. Do not let them win. You can break the mean streak by catching them and restraining/holding them until they calm. Do that over and over and they usually subdue. Kill em' with kindness. Or soup pot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hatched out chicks earlier this year and now have the tough decision of picking out which rooster to keep. I did this a couple years ago and decided to keep the prettiest and friendliest. The one I could always pick up and hold. Turns out, he became a monster. He could see me from across the way, and run for me to attack. He snuck up on me a couple of times and attacked me from behind. Then when family was over, he attacked my sister and tried to get my fast nephew. He would jump our fence to the back yard to come and attack us. I never did anything mean towards him. Just one day, something at have snapped. I was in their run filling up water like normal and he got me from behind. And it continued like that forever. He is not a problem anymore, but he sure was beautiful. No we have 8 to choose from. Any tips or advice? Do I need to lay down the law somehow to keep my new rooster from turning on me?
I have raised and hatched chicken's for about 10 years now. There is no "perfect rooster". I keep about 10 roosters that run together with the girls. You have to lay the law down quickly with them. If they try to jump on you, catch the rooster and lay him on his back with you standing over him for a few minutes. When you let him go he may try to jump again. Keep repeating this til he runs when you let him go. With chicken's it's all about pecking order and you need him to know you rule the roost. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every friendly rooster I have had turned out to be mean. So I would pick the most stand offish one you have. We have tried everything to get them to knock it off, since it’s always the chick my daughter picks that ends up being a rooster, but they still end up not living here any more
I might just try this method this time. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I would not recommend mixing ducks and chickens as the drakes would still try to breed the chickens/hens. But I never kept ducks and chickens together, I had ducks and my uncle had chickens separate farms. Any rooster that gave him issues we ate.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
My great grand aunt, on my moms side, had this big red rooster. His name was Ben. Aptly named after the bull we had for lunch on that particular day. You see Ben hated men. And if she was in the vicinity he hated them more but she could cuddle him and all.
That day, when bog Ben had been consumed my mom and dad went for a walk to discuss wedding plans.
When they returned my dad carried Ben by the neck, sporting about 60 scratches on hos face. He said itvwas an accident. My mom said it was self defence. 😁

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
482 Posts
What breed was this? It sounds horrible! (And funny). It's not the typical narrative for ducks
One of the hens was an Appleyard, the rest were mixed breeds.

I would not recommend mixing ducks and chickens as the drakes would still try to breed the chickens/hens.
My ducks kept well enough away from the chickens until my drake killed my rooster. After that he would chase down the hens and try to breed them. Regardless, my experience mixing the two was horrible but I don't think I would have liked ducks any more had I raised them separate. When the chickens had all gone to roost (my ducks stayed out way later than the chickens) the ducks would pull the same crap with each other as they did with the chickens.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
One of the hens was an Appleyard, the rest were mixed breeds.

My ducks kept well enough away from the chickens until my drake killed my rooster. After that he would chase down the hens and try to breed them. Regardless, my experience mixing the two was horrible but I don't think I would have liked ducks any more had I raised them separate. When the chickens had all gone to roost (my ducks stayed out way later than the chickens) the ducks would pull the same crap with each other as they did with the chickens.
The drake to female ratio needs to be greater numbers for him to rotate through. Yes they will breed to fertile the eggs but that's their job. I never had a problem and commonly had 3 drakes to my big collection of ducks. Ran pekin, runners and golden 300. The runners did not handle the environment well but the Pekins and golden 300 did very well at the farm, but never had a chicken on the property. We had a pond on the back side of the farm and a kiddie pool on the front side for them.

My uncle and cousins little boy swear by their chickens but always remember having issues with overly protective hens collecting eggs at their place when I was a kiddo. Ducks could care less they wanted attention and water that was it.

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
482 Posts
The drake to female ratio needs to be greater numbers for him to rotate through. Yes they will breed to fertile the eggs but that's their job. I never had a problem and commonly had 3 drakes to my big collection of ducks. Ran pekin, runners and golden 300. The runners did not handle the environment well but the Pekins and golden 300 did very well at the farm, but never had a chicken on the property. We had a pond on the back side of the farm and a kiddie pool on the front side for them.

My uncle and cousins little boy swear by their chickens but always remember having issues with overly protective hens collecting eggs at their place when I was a kiddo. Ducks could care less they wanted attention and water that was it.
I had 5 ducks and 1 drake and they did fine together. I never incubated eggs and none of the ducks went broody so I don't know if they were fertile. My drake decided he was bored of his ducks so he killed my rooster so that he could chase the chickens.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,884 Posts
We currently have 4 roosters out there, 3 are going in the freezer when we butcher our cornish next week. We have never had a mean rooster in the 6 years we've had chickens. We don't baby ours and lately, since they'd been free-ranging more and we are more hands off, they all almost act feral. We had to pen them up again and are about to move them to a new coop, 2-3 of those hens are nutzo.

But no roosters have chased us, they mind their own business thankfully. We're just butchering the others because I'm not feeding extra roosters and no egg return.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We currently have 4 roosters out there, 3 are going in the freezer when we butcher our cornish next week. We have never had a mean rooster in the 6 years we've had chickens. We don't baby ours and lately, since they'd been free-ranging more and we are more hands off, they all almost act feral. We had to pen them up again and are about to move them to a new coop, 2-3 of those hens are nutzo.

But no roosters have chased us, they mind their own business thankfully. We're just butchering the others because I'm not feeding extra roosters and no egg return.
We also free range (they usually only travel a 2 acre area, mainly in the woods) and was hoping that rooster would be busy enough watching his hens then to worry about me. When they are far away, no problem. But if I happened to walk towsrds the area they were free ranging, he’d be worried about attacking me. If they were making their way back towards the coop in the evening, he’d come looking for me. My husband would laugh as he’d watch the rooster spot me and make he’s way towards me as fast as possible from 100 yards away. I raised them all from chicks, fed and watered them, gave them treats...tried being authoritative when he started acting off, but he was just psycho, lol. Hoping for a better shot this time by not using a sweet, snuggly rooster!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fix all those roosters! its easy! behead then fresh chicken breast dinner!
Lol! Yep, always my go to. But now I have a closed flock and am trying to keep my breeding lines pretty clean without purchasing more roosters. (Raising Speckled Sussex, hard to find replacements without ordering chicks where I live) That’s why I am hoping for a winner winner that won’t be chicken dinner this time! 😂

1 - 20 of 27 Posts