The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My whether didn't get uc but I really don't want him too. How do I prevent him from getting uc? Thanks:)

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
make sure his diet is 2:1 calcium to phosphorus.

I choose to do this by feeding alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay and grain.

If you dont have alfalfa in his diet then do not feed grain.

a good loose mineral with 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio is important and some grass hay is really all he needs

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Grass hay is normally not enough unless you buy from a grower who knows what they are doing. You can and should supplement with a grain if you are not sure of how good your grass hay is. Most pack goat owners are afraid to feed their wethered pack goats alfalfa and go with a good grass hay and grain supplements.

When was your wether castrated?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Grass hay is normally not enough unless you buy from a grower who knows what they are doing. You can and should supplement with a grain if you are not sure of how good your grass hay is. Most pack goat owners are afraid to feed their wethered pack goats alfalfa and go with a good grass hay and grain supplements.

When was your wether castrated?
If her wether is a pet, then high quality grass hay very well could be enough, as long as it is balanced 2:1 -- that's what my wethers live off of. They either get a grass/alfalfa mixed hay, or grass hay with 1/2 a cup of alfalfa pellets each (Nigerians).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts