The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall! im considerably a new goat owner. We got our first Nigerian when she was a month old in February this year. We got her from a lady that ended up taking in a herd from a neighbor and was practically giving them away as she found herself overwhelmed with all the new goats. So we took her in without thinking that she wouldve been better off with some herdmates but by the time we realized she had already unloaded the rest. We had been looking for a new herdmate but we couldnt find any in our area until today! So now we got a 3 m old female and our current girl( her name is lil Momma lol) is not having it! we ended up seperating them for we feared Momma would seriously harm the little one (she has horns) Now im feeling this is our fault as she has never had much interactions with another goat besides our neighbor that has billy pygmy. our new one was dam raised and had few human interactions so she spooks easily from us which makes it a bit harder to seperate them when they both take off running. Momma seems to be overprotective of my 3 y old daughter as she got even more aggressive if the baby got anywhere near her human and even tossed her at one point when she hit her on her side(goat not my human kid). so long story short i have no idea where to go from here exactly and we really want this to work out for the both of them. I know we have to spend lots of one on one time with our new one to get her use to us and her new environment and will be doing so in the pen we have for Momma and giving Momma free range of the rest of the property til then. Is the age difference going to be a major issue? Has anybody had a situation like this?

·
8,175 Posts
It usually takes awhile for goats to get used to each other. 3 days to a few weeks. Can you divide the pen in 2 sections, so they can see each other but have no direct contact?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Age difference does make a difference. Ones the same age and size can battle it out while a young one can be harmed. But if you could divide your pen like suggested, that would help give them time to get used to each other through the fence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It usually takes awhile for goats to get used to each other. 3 days to a few weeks. Can you divide the pen in 2 sections, so they can see each other but have no direct contact?
I think I might be able to add some panels to separate them but where they can see each other. Im gonna try that out today to see how it goes but I think I'll still have to put the little one in the barn at night because of predetors

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Age difference does make a difference. Ones the same age and size can battle it out while a young one can be harmed. But if you could divide your pen like suggested, that would help give them time to get used to each other through the fence.
I wish i would've
I should've looked into the whole age thing before hand but my husband fell in love when he saw her and we didn't think twice. I guess we figured because she was young she wouldn't be aggressive like dogs are lol but definitely for now we are gonna try to add panels to the big pen and give them each a side

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
:groupwelcome:! Nice to have you with us!
Momma seems to be protective of my 3 y old daughter
This is nice, if it were not for the overdoing. Probably Momma sees your daughter as some kind of kid, who needs to be protected, a pity she has not yet understood that the newcomer has the same need. It could also be jealousy, "This is MY little human, you stranger stay away from her!"

A pity this also adds to my prejudices about dwarf goats, that they are a bit rude ... But a 3 months old doe will be almost full grown in half a year, then better able to defend herself. But I see a problem in the fact that both are running away from you when frightened. Try to convince them both that you are the best humans in the world! Treats can do wonders! ;)

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Welcome to TGS!
A kissing fence is great ...see but don't touch. Also when you do reintroduce them have an igloo or dog house or something small enough for the little one to get into away from the bigger one. Have separate feeders and one extra so that if momma pushes her away there's another she can go to just divide the normal portion three ways so you're not over feeding. Same with water buckets have two one on each side of the pen. Once they becom e friends you can stop the extras but I find does get grumpy and it's alway better to have safe spaces and extra feeders to stop fights before they start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts