The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone could offer any info on how I would begin to get my goats registered, so I could possible show them at some point. They are three months old, Nubian and Alpine cross.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I was kinda wondering the same thing. I know my kinder does, their parents are not registered, is it even possible?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hm, I am unsure if they are but I can get in touch with her to find out... I imagine that they would have to be in order for me to register them?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Kinders cannot be registered with the ADGA but there are other places you can register them. I have no idea of the other rules though. ADGA does not take notice of any mixes or experimentals that include a Nigerian Dwarf. Nigi's have to be 100% Nigi to be registered with ADGA.

In a mix breed, the parents need to be registered ADGA in order to be able to register them as experimentals in the ADGA. Or at least the buck needs to be.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Kinders cannot be registered with the ADGA but there are other places you can register them. I have no idea of the other rules though. ADGA does not take notice of any mixes or experimentals that include a Nigerian Dwarf. Nigi's have to be 100% Nigi to be registered with ADGA.

In a mix breed, the parents need to be registered ADGA in order to be able to register them as experimentals in the ADGA. Or at least the buck needs to be.
Thanks Amy... :) That makes since. I only have the 2 big girls that can be registered. If I can get into the oberhasli's like I really want too I can get them registered, as well as some Alpines.. I'm not into show, but it would be nice to have some registered stock to sell to those who are....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If you can keep the kinders registered with the kinder registry or AGS, if ADGA decides to let them in maybe all you'll need to do is transfer treasury like can be done with the NDs.

Eventually more minis might get accepted. Right? Anything is possible

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
If you can keep the kinders registered with the kinder registry or AGS, if ADGA decides to let them in maybe all you'll need to do is transfer treasury like can be done with the NDs.

Eventually more minis might get accepted. Right? Anything is possible
A 4H group might be interested in my buckling born last week, but the lady that answered my ad stated that kinders are not growing in popularity, but they are decreasing.. I know ND's are very popular here.... Kinders not so much.... Once I get into oberhasli's I'll probably sell them.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I love Oberhaslis too janeen....are you planning on that soon?
Yes:) There is a Creamery up north that sells does for $100.00 (bottle babies) She will have her first set of kids born in December, so I will get 2 doelings then, that is the plan.. I'm a little nervous about that though as she pulls her kids off at 2 days... eeks!!! It will also be winter too, but I do have a heat lamp... And I did get my sheep 3 days old in the middle of winter and they made it... These girls will come with registration papers, so I thought I would sell Charlie and get a registered buck from there..., but I like Charlie so he will most likely stay...:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
For ADGA:
If your Nubian and Alpine crosses meet a breed standard they could be registered Native on Appearance.

Or if you cross them with a registered buck those kids could be registered 50% of whatever the buck is. 50% Alpine, 50% Saanen, etc.

Are you on the west coast? I know someone who is selling Oberhasli because she is leaving for college and these are some of the top genetics in the area.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
For ADGA:
If your Nubian and Alpine crosses meet a breed standard they could be registered Native on Appearance.

Or if you cross them with a registered buck those kids could be registered 50% of whatever the buck is. 50% Alpine, 50% Saanen, etc.

Are you on the west coast? I know someone who is selling Oberhasli because she is leaving for college and these are some of the top genetics in the area.
I am from WA. Where is she located...?

·
1,524 Posts
You probably can't get them registered experimental, but if they look close to one of the breeds you can get the recorded as grade/native on appearance for whatever breed they look closest to and breed up from there.

·
I'm watching you
22,564 Posts
Are you talking about St Johnes Creamery? Be very careful and research the bloodlines well. There are not many "top" Oberhasli bloodlines. They tend to be very inbred and have many udder problems. I love the breed, I couldn't handle the culling anymore.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Are you talking about St Johnes Creamery? Be very careful and research the bloodlines well. There are not many "top" Oberhasli bloodlines. They tend to be very inbred and have many udder problems. I love the breed, I couldn't handle the culling anymore.
I am actually... The weird thing is that Charlie's (oberhasli buckling) parents are from there. I actually got him in Roy.. That is what I am most concerned with... Inbreeding him to a close relative... Thanks for the heads up... I found some 8 week old does one is Lamancha, and the other is mixed Nubian/Lamancha that I'm considering getting instead.... At least I might be able to breed later in the season if I want to. Just waiting to hear back from them.... I haven't had to cull yet, and I'm dreading the day that I have too..

·
I'm watching you
22,564 Posts
There are not many lines of Obers actually. What do you want from your goats? I will have a whole crop of kids this next year. I am totally willing to help someone get started...

·
Super Moderator
59,796 Posts
If you would want to transport goats, Tom Rucker of Buttin' Heads has some nice Oberhasli. He is in Ohio not far from where I live.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
There are not many lines of Obers actually. What do you want from your goats? I will have a whole crop of kids this next year. I am totally willing to help someone get started...
I just want good brush eaters, milk, and I have to admit pets... All mine are spoiled... I'm looking into a possibility of starting a Dairy business, but that will most likely take 1 year or 2 to finish, if I decide to go that route.. It will most likely be too much of a pain, but I like the possibility. I just love the markings on oberhasli's, and my 1year old wethers are the sweetest guys... I'm also wanting Alpines as well, again because of their markings...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts