The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:stars:
Does anyone have experience on moving lambs and sheep to a new LUSH Pasture? I mean, the pasture they are on now, is mostly beaten down and not much growth of any fresh greens at all. We intend to move the lambs & sheep as soon as we are able to, but want to do so safely.:chin:

I know lambs and sheep are subject to bloat as are goats and cows....

So, how do we do it safely?

I have read that you should only let them on it for about 10 minutes several times a day? Then watch them closely for at least an hour after the ten minutes is expired...
I am Not sure how to :ponder:accomplish that, as of course the area is large and the lambs are fearful when we try to coral them!

Also, how much shelter do the lambs need?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lush pasture & moving lambs in dark

I would just do it the same as goats. Let them fill up on hay, and then put them out when it's nearing dark. At dark, bring them back to their shelter. I've also read about bloat blocks, might be worth looking into.
Hmm haven't heard of bloat blocks...can check on those

However, I was told that lambs, unlike goats are afraid of the dark, don't like shadows, and don't want to go into a darker place from a lighter place, so not sure if evening or when it is getting dark would work?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is likely about the best, so long as it's not too hot! Once a day might be feasible, but several times a day sounds challenging!

I wonder if some clippings from the same lush pasture could be offered safely another time in the day, like after morning hay/grain that they get?

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I would cut some of it and bring it to them a few times a day for a few days. I've done that in the past and just kept an eye out for bloat and diarrhea. Keep offering hat for a few days at least after they are moved over. Keep a close eye on the lambs. Those buggers die on me if I look at them wrong.

·
Super Moderator
16,054 Posts
Not a sheep expert!! Saying that right off the bat here lol but every year my does are dry lotted while they are with the buck and then once the boys are done covering everyone (3 months) I want them to go out and get the green grass and everything else. I also worry about bloat with them so this is what I do. I feed them in the morning. Give them about a hour then open the gate so they can go out. I start them off with about 10 minutes. Next day 15-20 and so on till it's about a hour then let them go for it. Now I do know sheep can be punks to gather. That's pretty much all I know about them lol but I don't much like chasing down my does or my cows so the have learned to come when I call them. Start giving your lambs grain. If you already do have a call that you have when they get the grain. Something as simple as come here, yell it and rattle the bucket and then pour the grain when they are paying attention. Eventually they will learn that call means yummy stuff is coming. That's pretty much how I gather everything around here lol and let me tell you it's a life saver!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lambs sheep diarrhea & new pasture

I would cut some of it and bring it to them a few times a day for a few days. I've done that in the past and just kept an eye out for bloat and diarrhea. Keep offering hat for a few days at least after they are moved over. Keep a close eye on the lambs. Those buggers die on me if I look at them wrong.
Oh, I know what you mean! The lambs are sensitive creatures, but seriously I do LOVE THE LAMBS! SHEEP!

Good suggestion on the green cutting, and we have been doing just that now, and hope to move them tomorrow barring anything unusual!

Best News is that we are actually be moving them to a different pasture, one that is a bit less rich and less green! :sun: I know that sounds not so good, but it will actually be better for them and a bit less of a concern for multiple reasons!

Plus, this pasture has an already permanent structure on it, so we won't have to worry about a makeshift set up for safety and shade. It is already there with a roof on it and 3 sides, with area inside for their minerals and grain buckets and everything! Yeah! It was previously used by horses(a number of years ago!)

We will be putting our guard llama:cowboy: with the lambs, who has been pretty amazing up until now with our little goats! So, thinking he can do the job out there with the lambs! Hoping!:love:

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Oh, I know what you mean! The lambs are sensitive creatures, but seriously I do LOVE THE LAMBS! SHEEP!

Good suggestion on the green cutting, and we have been doing just that now, and hope to move them tomorrow barring anything unusual!

Best News is that we are actually be moving them to a different pasture, one that is a bit less rich and less green! :sun: I know that sounds not so good, but it will actually be better for them and a bit less of a concern for multiple reasons!

Plus, this pasture has an already permanent structure on it, so we won't have to worry about a makeshift set up for safety and shade. It is already there with a roof on it and 3 sides, with area inside for their minerals and grain buckets and everything! Yeah! It was previously used by horses(a number of years ago!)

We will be putting our guard llama:cowboy: with the lambs, who has been pretty amazing up until now with our little goats! So, thinking he can do the job out there with the lambs! Hoping!:love:
I love lambs and sheep too. So cute. So different from goats, but so cute! My three are going to have a visit with the ram soon. Well he's still a ramling, haha, I traded his Dad for him to diversify my flock a little.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our two males are Felix and he is the Ram..well, will BE! His companion is of course, Oscar!

Felix and Oscar from the old Odd Couple reruns!

Felix was named by the family we bought him from!
We are separating them, and reuniting them later fall, for the farms first Soring lambing time! Sure hoping lambing goes smoother than the goats kidding, as it was not good at all. We have learned a great deal however, about our deficiencies of the land, and feeding, etc.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lambs sheep moved & RACCOON!

Just a quick update! Lambs are doing well, as is the llama with them! So happy so far!:clap:

Strangely, they don't like going in the shelter, other than to eat! Not sure why, but trying to figure out why they don't go in there??? :evil:

Possibly because of a recent raccoon? :evil: Would a raccoon scare them away?:evil:

Our son was awoke one night, as the beef cattle were making so much racket, as the llama was going crazy and stomping out a raccoon baby! :sun:

So happy the llama set off the midnight alarm warnings! He found the mom and some babies and they had been snacking on some feed...!:applaud::applaud::applaud:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lambs loved the llama

Glad your llama did his job.
Me TOO! We are SO PROUD of HIM! What a great guy, our llama is! He had the beef cattle all worked up, waking up a sleepy son of ours, and sure enough!!!

I am hoping the lambs feel better about staying in the shelter now that the family of Raccoons have moved out! The lambs are so sweet and innocent!

BTW- our llama is 14 years old and his name is MOSES.

The photo is Moses!:smile:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.