The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm doing research on goats since I'm interested in getting a pair of Nigerian dwarf wethers as companions.
I noticed that there's lots of videos/articles on how to show cats and dogs love in way they'll understand. I'm curious how you all show your goats affection? What sort of things do they really respond to?

I have been told to bottle feed my babies, which I'm prepared to do. But what are some other ways to build that bond?

Thanks for any advice :goatkiss:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Treats, scratches (mine love me to put my hands like claws, one on each side of the belly, and scratch back and forth -they lean into it), run with them.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
FOOD!!! Goats are very similar to men in that the way to their hearts is through their stomachs. :D

They also love a good scratch.

I noticed that there's lots of videos/articles on how to show cats and dogs love in way they'll understand.
They make videos and articles about everything these days, don't they? It's hard to believe anyone would need a "how to" video on how show love to a dog because they're so good at instant feedback, but I guess a lot of folks these days never grew up around animals?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep all of the above! My Gwennie gets quite jealous when I fuss the little ones though, she'll give them a head butt if I don't watch her. She's a rescue goat, I don't know anything of her background at all. I think she's used to being on her own by the way she behaves with me and with the little ones..................... :buttheads:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yep all of the above! My Gwennie gets quite jealous when I fuss the little ones though, she'll give them a head butt if I don't watch her. She's a rescue goat, I don't know anything of her background at all. I think she's used to being on her own by the way she behaves with me and with the little ones..................... :buttheads:
There are goats which are of a special, independent nature, I call them the aristocracy as they don't immediately take the offered them food from my hand , her long nose and if sologhost then reluctantly accept the gifts.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I'm not really big on treats either. In fact, it's been years since I've given any of mine treats (they get some orange peelings/apple cores and the like every once in a while, but not real treats).

I spend A LOT of time with mine. Just sitting out there interacting with and watching them. Each of mine gets scratched/petted/hugged every single day (somedays it's just 20 seconds of loving and other days it's 20 minutes). :) I never want to have more goats than I can pat/pet each day. They all love it so much. :p

Reactions: Franny and top_goat

·
8,177 Posts
I don't give treats by hand, that seems to make greedy, bitey goats! (Same with horses). But I will put treats in feed dishes.
I try and at least run my hands over everyone every day. That is a lot of hand running with 150+ goats. (I really need to actually count them sometime).

They all are friendly, without being too "in your face" except when I am working in their pens. Then they are very helpful. Climbing the ladder, stealing the tools, etc.

The big thing is spending time with them, handling them and teaching manners. (Don't let them do things at 20# you don't want at 150#+! Like jumping on you.) They will learn to trust and love you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ours get “treats” every night. They also go for “races” on a regular basis. My husband takes them for a walk on our dead end road and when he gives the signal they all run like hell for home! It’s all about bragging rights! When it’s time to go to bed they all run to the goat barn and wait for the nightly treat.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
These responses have been a wonderful read! I so agree with the themes... I call them the "4 T's": Time, Touch, Tenderness and Talk. I was out checking on things a little bit ago and was quickly surrounded by "the family" -- goats and dogs -- each in turn looking for that special bit of affirmation and love! "Oh, are you feeling overlooked?" (evidenced by the gentle hoof on the back of my calf) So I reach down and cup that sweet head in my hands and coo into her ear how special she is! Never underestimate how much they understand of what you say to them!!!

Like others, I keep only so many that I can personally interact with daily. Right now that's 6 does and 2 bucks (senior & replacer). I also make minimal use of treats... I want them coming... like this morning... just because they love me and know I love them in return! Each one knows their name and responds when I call. Even the bucks!

I remember reading somewhere in a "new to goats book" or article or some such... the author closed by saying something like: When its all said and done, never forget why you got the goats in the first place! Y ou got them because you like them! So in the sometimes frantic schedule of feeding and doctoring and cleaning and kidding -- make time to just enjoy them! Some of the most wonderful times of my week are those moments... like this morning... when I stop and take time to let myself be surrounded by my 4-legged family. They know I love them! And yours will too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts