HOW ? to snatch babies from CAE doe ??

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jBlaze, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a positive doe that I would like to raise negative kids from, she is a very nice doe. I am worried that she will get to them before I do when she kids. I am seeking advice from anyone who has been there.
    So far our does usually kid in the afternoon, and we sometimes miss the first kid. It will be dry by the time we check again. This is great for our negative herd, but I don't want any positives!! Short of living in the barn till she pops, how will I be sure she doesn't touch them? We did tape her teats with medical tape as best we could. I am worried, and would like any ideas you all can share with me.
    Thanks,
    J.
    (Maybe it would be good to put a list of answers in the goat basics section, for anyone in similar situations. I just hate to see this disease perpetuated!!) :hair:

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The only time I ever pulled a kid was for CL- but I did not want to pull any bucklings. Luckily Candy had a buckling first and while she was cleaning him, she was having the doeling which I was able to get without any stress to the mom.
    What I have heard being done, is to inject the does with oxycotin(?) to have them delive on the weekend. The only thing was that you had to be sure of the breeding dates so as not to be premature.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

taping the teats really well and trying to be there is about all you can do. If she is leaving the tape on now the kids will have a hard time getting it off. Lots of checking in on her.
    good luck
    beth

4. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    What kind of tape are you supposed to use? I just used the silk type of medical tape, best I could find for now. I wish I could get the barn cam in her stall. :) Anyone else have any ideas?

5. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Well, just to follow up, the doe had twins, a doe and a buck, look just like her. DH found then still very slimy, so he took them and dried them off. I went home and dipped navels, feet and gave them colustrum and put them in a fresh stall. Nice looking kids! Now, I need either a certain negative doe asap or they are going to get the cow milk reciepe. The source I had planned, another doe, did not take till later, and the two that already kidded each have twins and have enough for them, but I doubt they have much extra.