How to stop them

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Hailee's Herd, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, I just brought home a new Nubian goat and now my other Nubian Splash and my Pygmy Rosie are being really mean to her. Rosie rams her and even bites her in the neck or anywhere she can reach. Splash has rammed her into the wall and the fence. I feel so bad for her. Is there anything I can do to discipline the others? Today I locked Rosie up and left the other two out by themselves. I can't seperate them at night either. Thanks

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    They are doing the totem pole thing right now. You can try to work with them with a water bottle - but it is pretty normal for them to get the pecking order down and work through it.

I would watch them and give them a little time. It will all work out!

3. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I already used the water bottle. They don't get it. I just worry because she isn't getting much food.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Can you pull her out just during feeding time or feed in a couple different places?

I have a couple "bullies" in my herd - one is a colt, and a horned girl, and then a small girl. We feed in 4 or 5 different spots that way if one of the "bullies" comes around, they can go off to another feeding station. We have never pulled one out to feed since we started doing feeding this way.

5. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Well they have two bowls, one really big and the other smaller. But then I give them hay and I eventually have to leave the stall. I can't seperate them now because my other barn is just being torn down to be rebuilt.
    Oh and I forgot to say that Spicy is grinding her teeth. She doesn't seem to be in pain but she is scared of the others.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Poor little girl. That is always rough when your goats are not being nice to the new ones. They should work it out soon. Sometimes I smack the mean ones on the nose but I don't know what good it does. . . . I hate it when that happens. Hard to say what you can do except wait it out a little and hopefully they figure out the "pecking order" soon. Maybe give your new girl some probiotics or nutri-drench? We use Bach Flowers with our goats and always give Rescue Remedy, Rock Water, and Walnut when goats have to be moved. Bach Flowers are inexpensive and can last just about forever. They only affect emotionally, not physically, so they do not interfere w/ any other treatments.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    one trick you could try is take away the two goats that are bullying for like an hour or two and leave the single one in the pen, when you put the aggressive does back in they shouldn't fight with her as much because they're in "her house"
    it works for me

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's a really good idea, SDK. I'll have to try that next time we have a problem w/ that. . . .

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    This was discussed at another time (I think) and someone said to take the collar off the "dominant" doe and put it on the newbie. Sorry you are having this problem, this is why I've decided to always get two goats at a time if I possibly can, so the newbie already has a "friend".

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a few like that. Yes they will learn who is the Queen of the barn soon. Just watch and make sure that she can get away from them and that she has her own food area. Have them all far enough away from each other that they can all eat out of their OWN area.

It is really hard to watch but give her a couple day to get settled in.

11. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  12. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I always quarantine new arrivals away from everyone else for one month at least.
    During that time they all get used to hearing each other.

Then, new arrivals are put in a pen thats inside the main pen. All have shelters.
    The new goats are safe and both the established goats and new can get to know each other through the fencing before they are placed together.

After about a week the new ones are allowed to roam, only during the day, with the established herd.
    After a few weeks of that and when everyone is fine with each other, then all are put together.

13. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    When we brought Fool home everyone chased her around and beat her up. So we took one of the less mean goats and separated them for about a week and then put them back with the rest of the herd. That way she had a buddy. It will still take time for them to work out their herd status.

14. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    They will eventually work it out I had been seperating our two new babies from the others but Stacy recommended that they stay together at night and we haven't had any more problems but it did take about 1 month before all the rough housing was done. The little ones still stay out of the King Wethers way *(we don't have a female right now because oor doe is on lone to a friend whose goat died and needed a friend)

15. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    When I had to put Georgia in with the girls (Hannah & Delilah) I separated Hannah and Delilah. I put Delilah and Georgia together because Hannah is the herd queen. Delilah and Georgia got along and then I put Hannah in. There was some head butting but not too bad, before that when I just put her in with both of them they both beat her up but introducing one goat at a time worked here. Delilah and Georgia are buds. :) Georgia will hide behind Delilah when Hannah is in one of her witchy moods, which is usually daily. :shrug: