How to switch to pan feeding a kid???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I have a 6 week old doeling (Arabella) who has been a bottle baby, she has done wonderful! However, she has gotten big enough that she sucks too hard on the nipple now and starts to cough as she asperates a little of it. She's a bit of a piggy! Because of this I want to start pan feeding her. We tried today but no go! I dipped her nose in it a few times, but she just wasn't interested in drinking it. I finally gave her a half bottle at 2pm (she get 2 bottles a day normally now one in the morning and one in the evening) I feel like it is either pan feed her or wean her, and I don't want to wean her yet! We want her big enough to breed in the fall so we can start getting milk (nubian). I've been told they grow better if you don't wean them til 4 months, and she is not even 2 months yet.

I have tried a new nipple that doesn't let out so much but it didn't matter, she still coughed. Does anyone have any ideas on getting her to pan feed?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't bottle feed but try getting her to go after the nipple as you lower it to the pan of warm milk, submerge the nipple enough to get her to want it but have to drink the milk to get it...IDK if it will work but try it...

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    stick your finger in the milk, get the kids to suck your finger, slowly lower your hand into the bucket, submerse your hand so the kid get milk/water when it tries to suck your finger, slowly pull your hand out. it might take a couple days but thats how we used to do. yep, 15 kids bucket training in 13*F weather in an unheated barn. fun fun! ;D
    good luck!

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I guess I shouldn't have tapped her nose when she was trying to eat my fingers :roll: I was trying to be good and teach her that people are not to chew on! :sigh: :doh:

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    you could stick a bottle nipple on your finger. that way she dont even think about your finger.

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I will try both things tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere with her! On the up side we fed out of a glass bottle tonight and she didn't cough once! I am not sure why excpet that she couldn't cave the glass in like she does the plastic??? I guess time will tell. I still want to start pan feeding her, I think she is old enough.

7. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    we used to pan train at 2 weeks old i think

8. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Do you think she is too old to switch? she is over 6 weeks now.

9. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Have you considered a lambar bucket? I used that on my bottle baby quads after 6 weeks. worked great :)

10. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    my dad said he always bucket trained them as soon as the kid was ready. "sometimes its a week, sometimes its a month". i'd say at 6 wks the kid is probably gonna get the hang of it pretty quick.

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    yep the lambar feeder is what I use... LOVE it! Ecept my little piggies will drink a hole bucket in one sitting if I leave it out and full....learned that the hard way! :laugh:

12. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Well, we are pan feeding now! She HATES it lol! She's yelling her head off right now because she didn't get her bottle tonight even though she drank half of it at least already out of the pan. She drinks it better if I hold her there at the pan. she is drinking less than if she is bottlefeeding, though. Is this OK? Normally she gets 4 cups a day over 2 feedings. She's only drank about 2.5 to 3 cups today. but she is eating grain and hay.

13. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    She did better today, not as whiney about not getting an actual bottle. Drank it better too, but I had it pretty darn warm and I think that helped. I think she will do just fine on the pan feeding now. I want to give her milk at least another month, but she may wean herself. She drank at least 3 cups today.

14. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    We have made the bottle to bowl transition twice this year so far, The first one we have still needs to be taught every time you try to feed him and the other took to the dish the on the first try and continues to drink it right up every feeding. And to think I thought the second guy was a dub lol.

15. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I am actually very happy with her! She slurped it down this morning!!! All 2 cups of it. One thing is she still wants me to be there with her when she drinks it :whatgoat: She won't drink it if I leave it for her, I have to pet her and stand there with her :? :laugh: