how to talk DH into it...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by newtogoats, Oct 14, 2008.

1. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I don't know if this question is in the right spot, but for those of you who had to, how did you talk your Dear One into goats? Mine loves animals, but is right when he says we have limited time, not to mention $$$. If only I thought selling milk would pay our way...So what did you say?
  2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I told my Hubby that he knew I loved animals LONG before he married me so he couldn't expect me to stop... AND I told him that if he didn't let me have my animals that he would have to give up all of his toys (motorcycle, 4wheeler, Viper Pick-Up, K-5 Blazer, used to have a Kawasaki Triple too.... even though I enjoy most all of these too and would really hate to see them go... it was either get me my animals or give up the toys!) :thumb: Can you tell which option he picked? :slapfloor:

Oh... and I don't know about everyone else.... but the Minis are in popular demand around here, so after the original investment they paid for themselves with some to boot. They even paid for a few extras like new feeding buckets, goat halters, and a little garden cart that I enclosed to transport them from pasture to pasture :wink: The key is finding what will sale good in your state (and even a couple of states bordering you... or if you do registered, good quality animals then they may even drive farther), raising good quality animals, keeping prices reasonable for what you are producing, and being very helpful to your customers or potential customers. I have got a great group of people on my Waiting List, and quite a few of them have purchased from me more than 3 times.... I even have some that have built their herds off of mine. So anything is possible, it just takes time and patience :wink:

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I am going to make mine sign a contract . . . :shades: . . . all the animals I want all our life and he is not subject to complaint or else . . . and if he doesn't sign . . . he doesn't get the girl . . . :ROFL:
  4. Well, what does a gallon of goats milk run in your neck of the woods.
    Here it runs $8-12 per gallon, if you went in the middle range and could sell
    3 gallons a week that would be $120 a month. Plus in order to get that milk you
    have to breed every year and then you have babies to sell. Milk sales pay for
    your grain and baby sales pay for your hay. Would also include the money you
    would save on not having to purchase you own milk into the equation. Sooo thats
    how I would go about it. Do some research and crunch some numbers to see if he
    is truly right. Though this all only daily stuff....if you dont have fences already up
    that can be quite a bit of money and purchasing quality(which you need for quanity of milk)
    stock is not cheap either!

Course if you dont have the time then how will you have time to properly raise goats kids
    until weaning age and milking twice a day for 300 days a year is a huge commitment!
    Somehow we all seem to find/make the time for our goaties though.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

no one can guarantee .........especially now.....that the milk will sell.?.....and there is alot of time involved with milking and preparing it for a customer.....If you cannot afford it ,...and have no time............if I read it right..............maybe it is best to wait................. :shrug:

Goats take up time and money...........
  6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    don't you have to do testing before you can sell milk for human consumption? or is this for animals?
  7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Sonrise, err Talitha, it varies on which state you live in. I know that if you're running an actual dairy goat operation, like if you were in Wisconsin, you would have to own a lincense of some sort, and milk would need to be pasturized, while in Minnesota if you're selling raw milk, the customer needs to be aware of what they're buying, and possible hazards of it, but you do not need a license, and, in MN, its illegal to 'advertise' selling raw milk. Odd laws, of course as I said these all vary from state to state. You could contact your states' Department of Agriculture to find out specifics.
  8. In alot of states it is not legal at all to sell raw milk.
  9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok - so I am the "Queen" of getting what I want when it comes to animals. The best thing is to know exactly what you are capable of doing - realistically!! You have to be honest with yourself, as the ones that will suffer is the animals in the long run.

If you know that you will have the time and resources - then you need to look at breeds. Do research - find out how much milk you want to produce, how much land you have, how much time you have to milk and so on.

To convince hubby -well I don't have any clue about that - as I just bring them home. He knew I was looking at goats before we got our first ones. What he didn't know is that I had already paid for them and when I got the call to go get them - I dropped everything and came back with 4 adults!!! Now I have almost 20 goats, 2 horses, and 6 sheep. Which there was nothing when we moved there! I just bring them home and say deal with it - LOL! He actually likes the animals as long as they are self sustaining. The first year, they will not be (for the most part) but you have to find the happy medium of what will pay the bills without having to many that you start going back into the red because you have to many.

As far as milk selling. I sell mine for ONLY Pet / soap. Now what they do with it after it leaves my property I can not control. I have them write out and sign that they will not use it for human consumption and I keep that in a folder - for legality. I sell my milk for $5.00 a gallon (to friends!!) or trade for farm fresh eggs. I only sell RAW milk that is strained and that is it. If they want it - then they can do all that stuff - as I really do not have the time. I even freeze it raw. I have made my icecream from raw - my animals get raw on their food once in a while and that way I can choose what i want to do with it later.

Good luck and I hope everything works out!
  10. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    It's not so much what you say as how hot you look when you say it.
    Try dressing up just for him :love:
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my gosh - That was hilarious!
  13. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    I don't have goats yet but I am getting some. I just kept putting "When we get goats" into conversations. He finally caved, lol. I am realistic that they are not in our immediate future and we discussed this. Certain things have to be completed first (roof on house, chicken coop winterized, babies chicks out of brooder box) and then hopefully come spring we will be able to complete a purchase on two little babies. :love: :leap: :clap: I say just be persistant and It'll pay off in the long run :)

Good Luck
  14. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    hahaha ! I'm also a "QUEEN" of getting what I want !! LOL !!

A few tricks that I pull out of my sleeve every once in a while ... ask for it for your birthday/Christmas. How can they say "I refuse to get you the one and only thing you want for your birthday!" ? lol. Don't give options ... say specifically ... I want THAT goat for my birthday. You can't hardly go wrong with that ... cause then they feel obligated. LOL !

Another way is raising your own extra $$ to buy the goats. I'll do odds and ends jobs for people to raise my own money for animals I want. That way hubby can't complain .. cause the $$ didn't come out of his pocket.

As for the $$ to buy them and care for them ... if you breed them, then the $$ you get from the kids goes a long way towards feed, etc. Plus if you do milk them and sell that to ... then that'll REALLY help along with the kid sales ! Of course it depends alot on if you will have an easy or hard time selling. If there's a market for them in your area .. then the goats usually pay for themselves by the time you sell all the new kids born every kidding season.

I sell my pygmy doelings for $100 and bucklings for $75 ... they're not registered, so that's why they're fairly cheap. But anyway, even at that ... $100 pays for about 8 50lb bags of feed. With 6 goats a 50lb bag of feed lasts approx a month or a little longer even ... so right there ... selling just one doeling pays for 8 months of feed ! And that's DUMOR goat show feed at $13 something per bag. You can get cheaper feed than that. So if you have less goats to feed, or more kids to sell ... then as you can figure ... it provides for even more feed.
    Obviously if I sell 2 doelings ... and put the $$ towards feed ... that pays for more than a year worth of feed. Of course there's hay to buy as well, and dewormer and a few other things. But all in all, selling enough kids usually goes pretty far in paying for their care & management.
    Then like was said - if you sell the goats milk yet, then you're really set ! ;)
  15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My hubby knew when we met that I was pretty much a resourceful self sustaining type girl....goats fit with me...I waised raised on goat milk and the occasional goat steak...I won't eat my goats because they provide me with the kids that sell as pets and the milk that follows which I do "sell" as pet food for $8-$10 a gallon.....which in turn pays for feed,hay and wormer or the occassional vet bill. I work fulltime, take care of hubby and my goats are my life, I MAKE the time for each one individually and I have the "perfect" size herd that I know which one is off and why before it turns disatrous. Hubby is the one that says "Whoa" when I suggest another goatie....he knows how many I can manage, I won't "trust" him to do what I do, but he will help if asked. He's done a great job with expanding the barn and welding custom gates for the pens and even wiring for electricity for my kids...

That is the number one thing when it comes to pursuading your other half, show that you can make the time for "goaties" as well as keep him happy.

Heres a "funny" to DH knows that he is on his own for basic things during kidding season....and he usually sleeps alone then too, as I am constantly checking on progress. :wink:
  16. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Thank you all for your time and insight (and great goat costume). I really only want two milkers, little ones, Nigerians or maybe mini-nubians (or 1 of each?). I know along the way I'll want to keep a baby or so, I guess that's how it starts...There are several dairy goat folks around here, but none close by breeding small ones, which I think would do well here for all sorts of reasons. And people here do buy goat's milk and cheese, it's very much in demand. Homemade soaps also seem to be all the rage at every little fair or festival I go to.

It's the fencing and then the shelter that will be the biggest expense. Also, it seems that you have to have quite an array of medicines and tools on hand, especially if you're going to milk too. That all seems to add up even more than the cost of even good quality does and hay and grain. I'm going to give the Christmas/birthday gift thing a shot...wish me luck!
  17. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We raise Mini-Nubians here, we started out with Nigerians and Shetland sheep now we're fully into just the Mini-Nubians but we do have a couple Nubian does here. Goats are herd animals so they usually do better with 1 or 2 or more than that.