how to tame my WILD babies

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KLSpoultry, Jan 5, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, my girls are about 18 days old and they are WILD!!

they run from me and scream when i hold them. if i grab them and hold them, scratch them, love on them, they'll set in my lap, but after about 5 min of not holding them, they're off again, screaming for mom.

what am i doing wrong?? i see pictures of everyone cuddling their babies and i'm so jealous!!

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well some are harder than others but here is what I have done this year and my babies are just like bottle kids. From day one of birth I get down and get in their face so they see me well and hear my voice. Then while the does eat I sit down in the floor with my legs out in front and let them investigate me. I do not touch at all I just let them get to know me and find out it is fun to try to climb my legs and then try to climb my shoulders. After about the second day of this I start touching them on their shoulders and scratch them there. There isnt a goat alive that doesnt love to have their shoulders scratched. Each kid will be different in how much time it takes for them to warm up to you but if you get down on their level they usually love to use you as a hill to climb on.

Attached Files:

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    The key is to handle them and bond right from birth. We spend a lot of time with the kids so therefore they are very friendly. And we never force hold a kid, or they lose trust in you fast. If we pick them up and they don't want held we put them right back down. Let them come to you on their own terms. Just sit there and wait, before long they are jumping all over you. You just become another play object something for them to climb and hop on. Another thing that works is to let them suck on your finger from the time they are born, it really helps them bond to people. But the important thing is do not force your love upon them, let them choose to love you. It really works when they think it is all on their terms... then they are fighting over who gets to be on your lap to get all your attention. I get smothered by babies when I go out to their pen. But I have to admit, I love it that way. :love:

If you can get them away from the dams, just sit down with them maybe sprinkle some hay or feed on your lap, and wait for them to come to you... do not grab them just let them climb around, it may take a few days but eventually they will trust you enough that you can hold them and love them up. Good luck!

4. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Teresa sound like we use pretty much the same method... :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    What you could try doing is get them in the barn and then take their momma out and put her someplace where they can't see her. Then go back into the barn with yummy treats and just sit down with your hands in your lap...palm side up with the treats exposed and don't move. It may take a while, but eventually, curiousity usually gets the better of them and they start to approach you. When they get close, DO NOT try to pet or grab them--it will scare them away again...just hold completely still and let them sniff around you or nibble on you and maybe find the treats. If you chase them and grab at them it is their natural instinct to try to get away.

If you do this a 2-3 times a day for an hour or so, they should get comfortable with you to the point of letting you pet them in a couple weeks. You just have to let everything be on their terms...be patient with them and they'll come around.

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I completely agree with what Tina and Teresa have said. If you plop down at their level from day one and let them get comfortable with you then they tend to stick with it. But its just like anything else. To keep it fresh in their minds you have to do it daily so they don't forget. If you skip a few days you'd have to start all over and it'll be harder.

Right now I don't have a good place to do that but I'm working on fixing that. Hubby and I are building a kid creep pen for feed and water and kid access. That way we can bond and play with the babies who will be here soon. I don't want another wild kid. They're just too hard to deal with. Bottle raising was my goal this year but its not going to happen unfortunately so this is our new alternative to ensure friendlier kids. Some kids are still wild or skittish even with all your effort and some will be friendly no matter what. Each is individual. But a group of friendly kids do help in taming or ensuring your newer babies are friendly too.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I do basically the same thing Teresa and Tina do. And all of my kids are SUPER friendly, but not annoying like some bottle babies can be.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I don't have kids yet, (February!!), but when I got Uno and Hope they were super wild.

I did pretty much the same thing the others have advised, and one thing I learned was PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. Hope came around pretty quickly, probably because I was catching her and milking her every day for a while, but it took Uno longer.

After lots of treats, patience, and shoulder scratching, he is my best buddy now. :love:

Good luck!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I totally agree with the bonding from birth, never had a bottle baby and never had a wild kid, Daily handling and if possible handle them more than once a day, mine fight over who gets on my lap first.

11. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    :hair: I HATE YOU GUYS!!!

well, not really, but i am horribly jealous. i have held these babies since birth everyday, i must be doing it wrong.

well today, i just went and sat with them in their pen away from momma. i sat there for 45 MINUTES!! NOTHING!! they just stayed at the edge, shaking, looking at me. Avon sniffed me 3-4 times, but they flinched everytime i moved. all i got was a seriously asleep foot...

will this get better??

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, I do the same as everyone else. Work with them from birth. Just hours after they after they are born I get them in my lap and let them sleep there. I usually scratch their withers or whatever I find that they like. Then they go back to mom and get a drink and once they want to sleep again I put them back in my lap.

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It might take a while for them to warm up to you because, up until this point, their interaction with you was forced. Holding them in your lap against their will was probably very scary for them--similar to being attacked by a predator. Both you and I know that you didn't mean any harm...but their natural instinct tells them otherwise. They're still afraid you're going to come after them. Once they figure out that you are not trying to "get them" they'll loosen up and become more curious. It's going to take time, but it will get better. Just stick with it.

Next time when you have goat babies, instead of holding...just talk to them a bit and get the used to your presence. They'll come to you on their own when they are ready...but if you try to make the first move it only scares them...not trying to be critical at all...just hopefully giving some advice that will make your life much easier in the future... :wink:

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I found that scratching them between the horn area ....they really like it.. :love:

that's if you haven't done that yet?

When they do come up to you "curious"....try to slowly scratch them between the horns with only your index finger...you may get a scratch or 2 in....they back off ...but pretty soon ...they want to approach you again...if they do...slowly try to scratch them again talk to them softly.....this time... they may stay there longer....because they decided ....that they love to be scratched there.... :)

15. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have tamed ours by feeding them horse treats, peppermint flavored and they have been tamed ever since!