The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to teach kittens how to use the litter box. what is the easiest way of doing this?:confused:

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I have three little kittens right now! What i've been doing is keeping them in a pen with an "easy access" litter pan. They have caught right on. I think the best thing you can do is to make it easy for them to get to and keep them in a confined area so they aren't far from it. :thumb:

·
Registered
95 Posts
First, keep them somewhat confined in a small space, such as a bathroom or laundry room. That way they are not too far from the box. Second, put them in the box, take their front paws and making scratching motions in the litter. That has always done it for me. Hope this helps!

Terri

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
We just put ours in the box and their instincts tell them to go potty. Honestly, it is so cute! ANYTHING kittens do is cute!!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Yep , I just toss them in the pan and dig around with my hands a little and that usually gets them interested and before you know it they scratch around , put their butts down in it and the magic begins :p
I never had a problem getting kittens to use the box for the first time.
I just made sure i always had multiple low boxes with fresh litter in them available. And , dont be surprised if you have one that decides its great fun to swat the litter around , lol There's always one :p
When I found my Roxy upstate NY one late fall , we drove home with her in jacket. I found a box and cut it real low and put dirt in it. When she got squirmy , I put her into the box and she figured it out in a millisecond .
Cats are really smart creatures , they will figure it out ;)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Same thing , offer them litter boxes and try to contain them in one area without any other options.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll have to try digging with their paws. We have barn kittens going to people who want a house cat that's why I have to train them. I showed it to them and they didn't seem interested.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
You can try dragging a string through the litter , this way they dig on their own. It will stimulate them and once they see the litter moves too , that may be enough .
Good luck :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may need to confine them in a smaller area that isn't outside. Limit their options of where to go.

I used to foster kittens and we got a litter of feral kittens once. I kept them in a baby (human) playpen with a top for a week (but you could use whatever is available. A large dog kennel would work just as well!), with a bed, food, water, toys and a litter box. They catch on REALLY fast when they don't have dirt/soil/other common materials to go on.

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
we have five barn kittens...they slept in the milking room up til now...they roam the barn more freely now ..we put a litter box where they could see it and all of them ran to check it out..wasn't 5 minutes before that box got used...:D..once they know where it is they use it..I too want a family home for these kittens so we play with them alot...friendly little stinkers...but they have a natural deisre to poop and pee in dirt..

·
2,751 Posts
If nothing else mentioned works, stick them in a dog crate with NO bedding for a few days. Put a litter box in there with them full of glorious litter. Cats and dogs don't like to pee where they sleep, and they like soft things to "go" on better than a hard floor usually. So, their only soft choice will be the litter.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well our first one goes tomorrow and the rest go next Saturday so I need to try some of these it just seems mean to take them away from their mom before they have to.:(

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
thats the hard part..but focus on the one on one loving they will get from their new family: )

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Well how old are they if they are still with their mom or on their mom ?
If they are 8 weeks they have got to be leaving her to go do their business. She's not going to clean up after them when they have solid poo .

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are six weeks.

·
2,751 Posts
Six weeks is quite a bit too early for them to be leaving Mom IMO. I always wait at least 8 weeks, if not a week or two more.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Are they eating kitten food on their own ?
If not , they should be on the mom for another two weeks at least.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
We always confine them in the bathroom with a box and put then in it. Once everyone has tested it we let them out to.play and watch. Anyone who has an accident and is grabbed and ran to the box very quickly.

Id wait another week with them... we gave kittens away at 6 weeks once. The mom was didn't want them... honestly I should have kept them on milk. They all are crazy acting now and not good pets

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes they are eating their own food and doing well with it. the rest are going at 7 weeks but we felt like they were ready and we didn't want the mama coming back into heat before we could catch her.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
So sad to have to see them go :( I just gave away our first out of the nine we have :sigh: Not good at all. I was fine until they told me that they were changing her name from 'Victoria' to 'Sushi'...

We are giving ours away at 10 weeks old. They eat like champions and hardly nurse at all. For litter training, we just have to take away everything else that they might potty on, and they will go in the box.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts