How to tell if a baby goat is too cold

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ThreeHavens, Apr 5, 2016.

1. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    We had triplets born last night :) They are all nursing and doing well (all passed meconium and everything), but seem a little chilly. It got down to 20 degrees last night. We made sure they were dried, and they have coats, and a heat lamp (up higher than recommended but there's no other way with our set-up). They are in a stall with their dam, shut off from outside, but it still is a cold day and a little wind is whispering through the barn windows.

I put a weighted box with a blanket in there too, just saw one of the littles use it.

Is there anything else I can be doing? I'm watching them on cam now. Two are sleeping, one is nursing. I saw all of them nurse through the night. I'm just afraid of them getting too cold and me neglecting to catch that in time.

I have one little one who was standing a little like he was cold, but he does have a full tummy and could also be sleepy. Not sure if doing any more would be counter-productive or not.

2. melbah1

melbah1 Member

You can take their temperature rectally. It should be at least 101. If they get cold it can cause problems with being able to digest the milk.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They will probably be ok. Just keep an eye on them that they are nursing.

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I feel their ears. Ears get cold the fastest, and if their ears are nice and warm they're doing great :)

5. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I will take their temperature as soon as I have helping hands. They are nursing - ears were a little cold this morning, but I forgot to check the ears just now. They seem more comfortable with the addition of that weighted box. I gave them a little mix of GI Soother (warming herbs) and molasses (for a kick). I give them some more of that in an hour or two. Thank you for the help, I'll make sure they're in good form to get through the night!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I felt their ears and toes, a little cool but not cold. They are acting better - more playful. Pooping, peeing, drinking. They seem to retreat into their "warm box" to nap and recharge.

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool. I bet they will stay warm in their box.

9. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

I bet they'll be fine... :)

10. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks, all! I'll be sure to get them cozy, it'll be cold tonight but then it'll get warmer.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I hardly ever take newborn temps. If the inside of the mouth is not toasty warm, they are cold. ;)

TCOLVIN likes this.