How to tell if my baby nigerian doe is polled.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Apr 10, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I have a nigerian doe baby that is 17 days old and I cant really feel any horns. Wouldnt she be growing her horns by now since the boys horns you can really feel. Which they are going to be disbudded tonight. All I feel when I feel for horns on her is real little bumps. But she will be three weeks on Tuesday and nothing yet. But her mom isnt polled that I know of and her dad wasnt I know cause when I seen him he had scurs. But any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the sire... or the dam ...may be carrying the polled gene.....it may be possible........yes ...I would think that she should have something....popping up there..... :shrug:

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    do you have a pic of her head? polled goats have smooth hair over the horn area, horned goats have swirls where the buds should be.

4. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I dont know if these will help or not but here they are.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    is the skin over the area where the horns should be "stuck" if they have horns or if can you move it polled. looks polled btw.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    To me she looks polled. :thumb:

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    No Idea about your question, but she sure it a cute little thing!

8. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks so much for the replies. I just got back a little bit ago from having the boys done. O how it breaks my heart by their little crys of pain. But I know it needs to be done. But I guess if she doesnt have horns by next week then she probably isnt going to have any right. Well thanks again.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    poor babies...... :( :hug:

Now that I see the pics ...the baby does look polled.... :wink:

10. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Yep I'd say polled... she's cute BTW

11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks so much for saying she is cute. I think so to. She is colored pretty to. She is chocolate on body with black legs and looks like she is going to have a black stripe down her back. Unless her color changes as she grows. What color would you call that. I so hope she is polled that would be awesome. Thanks again.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She is chocolate Chamoisee

Looks polled to me

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She looks polled to me as well. I did have a baby Nigerian doe earlier this year that took a long time to get her horn buds. She was almost 5 weeks old by the time she was ready to disbud and the gal was very careful because she has a dainty head. Her head looked smooth and polled but she was horned, just took longer than normal to get her buds up. :shrug:

14. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yea I figured I would just whatch her in the next few weeks, and see if they come in. I will then take her to get her disbudded. But at least mommy got to keep one baby last night when I took the boys to be done. This is something I really need to learn how to do. That away I dont have to take them anywhere. But yea she may have horns just havnt really came up yet. We shall see.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Wait and see. I've had numerous kids born who "looked polled" by the theory I've used in the past. Which was size, shape of head and also hair growth over horn buds. None of the methods work conclusively. The 3 I just knew were polled this year are horned.

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

She looks like she has horns to me. Most does dont get bumps nearly as soon as bucks. I have seen nigies nearly three months old before they are ready to disbud.
    There is a chance having two hored parents that she could be pooled. However BOTH of her parents would have to be carrying the polled gene, meaning that at least one of their parents would have to be polled. As far as i know the polled gene is recessive.
    beth