The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like a dumb question but I haven't seen the new buck I bought mount any of the does. They were flagging like crazy when I brought him home and put him in their pasture. He would follow one around intently and flap his tounge and make the strangest sounds, but I have not seen him mount one yet.

Do you think he only works at night? Or is something not right?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Did you write down when you saw them in heat? Just see what they do in about 21 days.

Yes he may be breeding when you aren't looking but only time will tell.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Did you do a breeding soundness test on him prior to turning him in with the does? If so, you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
At the start of the season I used a cattle marking paint stick on my buck's chest every other day and he left a nice orange smear on my doe's bums over night. Aside from watching to see if they come back in there isn't much you can do to be sure he already did his job, aside from take blood once it has been enough time and have them tested. I also watch for messy tails. Had another really messy tail this morning. Some does get a little messy in heat even if they are not bred but in general there is a lot more mess if the buck did his job.

·
2,203 Posts
Tail chalk is fantastic. Either mark each doe a different color (and refresh daily), or mark your buck. We mark our does. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Lower tech answer, watch for muddy hoof smears on the does' backs, if they're light-coloured. And watch their behaviour to see if they come in heat again three weeks later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts