How to tell if she really is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Tiger, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Tiger

Tiger New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    The date pygmies Trixi and Pixi were bought is written somewhere, I can't really remember where it is though. My mom purchased two goats from a lady about 4 months ago and said they were both pregnant. We assumed she said that from watching, because neither goat was fat. So about 4 months later (I think we'll have had them 5 months March 26th) Pixi is still not fat so we're sure she's not pregnant, but Trixi has had udders almost since we got her, though since then they've gotten a bit bigger. However, neither goats are tame. Pixi will come up to us if we have food, and Trixi is very interested in our every move but stays about 5-6 feet away, so we can't really check her without chasing her down and stressing her out.
    However, I got a hold of her today and felt her belly. From the bottom she feels tense, unlike the top of her sides which feel like mushy fat. When pressing on the tense part I can't feel anything.
    I've looked at pictures of pregnancy signs but I just cannot compare them to her. I've had a pregnant goat before, but it was completely unexpected because she acted no different at all and the male goat passed away I suppose right after she became pregnant, so we didn't expect it either.
    The only real difference I've noticed is that she used to always be jumping on things and would lay on top of the food container, about 4 feet off the ground, but she no longer does that. I've asked my mom about other things she's been doing, and she doesn't notice it but it seems she's going in the pen more (we let her graze) but I looked and it doesn't really see she's been making a nest or anything. And she lays down a lot more and doesn't always look comfortable. My mom pointed that out today, she laid down and was almost constantly moving her front legs around as to get comfortable, though I countered that with she was getting some sun.
    I tried taking a few pictures of her in the event it may help even a little bit, though her dark fur and my bad camera abilities probably aren't helping at all.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2w6tlbt.jpg
    http://i48.tinypic.com/2ztem4j.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/332qdc7.jpg
    Thank you for taking the time to read this and possibly putting in your input.
    :whatgoat:

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

First of all, post some pics of her cha-cha, this will help determine if she's preggers or not by the change in the anus and the vulva after breeding . . .;) **underside of her tail, do NOT lift the tail yourself, but catch her when she's lifting it naturally.**
    I highly doubt she's preggers, being 4 months along she should be a little bigger than that...
    Does she have an udder at all? She should be uddering up by now. . . .
    Hope that helps, ;) Tia

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah her size doesnt scream pregnant -- try reading this to see if it gives you an idea of what Idahodreamer is talking about viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11526

4. Idahodreamer

um Stacy I think that was the wrong pic or something . . . . ;)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    love when the copy and paste function doesnt work :roll:

thanks for noticing that -- its all fixed now

6. Idahodreamer

:thumbup: I've had that happen more times than I can count, LOL. Great pics, BTW... :)

7. Tiger

Tiger New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Well, I apologize if this is considered bumping an old thread, but I have been really busy lately.
    Stacey, I looked at those pictures and she looked like the before pictures, but I guess that's not a completely effective method, because she had a baby a few hours ago!!
    It is ADORABLE!! I want pictures but the blood on its head from feeding from the momma makes me sick. :(
    I just don't know how to sex a goat. I know males' testicles are very prominent as they're older, but there looks to be just a really small tuft of hair. I just haven't gotten close enough to really verify yet. I hope it's a girl, though!

8. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Congrats! to sex a goat, lift its tail. If it's a boy, you will only see a little puckered thing (it's poop-hole). If it's a girl, you will see a "lollipop"... the little puckered thing at the top and a slit (the vulva) beneath it. You can also usually see the boys' testicles pretty easily, even when they're very little, if you flip him on his back. He will also seem like he's peeing from his belly button, whereas a girl will squat and pee from her rear end (from the vulva). If you can see a tuft from far away when the kid is walking I'm guessing it's probably a :kidblue: but you never know! Thinking pink thoughts for you!

Reading your post through I agree she didn't look super pregnant, but she sounded pregnant. All of my goats LOVE jumping on things when they're not pregnant, but for the last couple of months of pregnancy they stop doing that.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congrats on your new Nigerian Dwarf baby!! From the links you posted in your first post Trixi looks Nigerian, not pygmy. Oh and if the underside of the baby's tail looks like mom...it's a girl.