How to tell when Nigi is in heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Sundari, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I have a 13-month old Nigerian Dwarf, and I want to breed her. Right now she lives with another female. My breeder is willing to let me stud my girl to one of her boys.

However, I'm kerflumuxed about how to tell when she's in heat. My breeder said that there's a 3-day window every three weeks, where she'll switch her tail more (ok, I can watch for that), talk more (she talks ALL the time), and mount other goats (she mounts the other female ALL the time).

Any other suggestions? I read a (fictional) book once in which the female goats would go into heat as soon as they were around a male (if they hadn't previously been pastured with a male), but apparently that's a load of hooey?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The breeder with the buck is correct. The doe will "flag" or wiggle her tail more than usual, might have a bit of discharge back there, mounting other goats, flapping her lip. If she has some of these signs then I would see if you can just take her to the breeders then. I have actually seen where a doe will come into season after meeting with the buck.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    All of the above...plus, her backside will swell a little and she could have discharge.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Another thing I thought I would add...every doe is different and I have seen some show no heat signs at all the entire breeding season and when kept with a buck they always had kids in the spring. :shrug:

5. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thank you - that is helpful. I'll keep an eye on her!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YEP, I was goi8ng to say the same thing.

Also, something you might try. If you can get to the buck, get a old towel, wipe it all over the buck so it stinks like him. Go to her and rub it in her when you THINK she is getting there. She will rub all over it like it is the buck if she is in heat. (In most cases).