The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on training goats on pig nipple waterers? They are currently drinking from a bucket and have no interest in the waterers. I am reluctant to take the bucket away until I see evidence of them using the waterers.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I wouldn't take their bucket away for fear of dehydration... Never heard of goats drinking from the nipple waterers

·
8,197 Posts
They cannot get enough water from a pig nipple waterer. Goats need at least 2 gal. per goat per day. (Large goats). No way can they get that from a pig waterer. Fresh water in a bucket daily or if you are lucky, an automatic waterer based on water level and not nose pressure like a cow waterer with the nose paddle.

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
Agree with Goats Rock - goats need more water than that will provide, they can drink up to a gallon at once. If you've ever tried to get a kid on a nipple or a different nipple, it can be extremely hard. If they see others drink, they will get the hang of it. Make sure the water is fresh, and not too hot if it's very warm where you are. This time of year, mine get fresh buckets at minimum 2x per day.

·
Registered
932 Posts
They need the buckets, I live in Northern MN where compared to most places it is cool and not terribly dry and my 10 does go through 6 gallons of water a day, they get fresh water morning and night. The 4 bucks get 2 gallons morning and night and they alost always have it close to empty. They need easy access water, having to learn or work at it will put them off drinking and you'll have problems. Not worth it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts