How to treat for mites

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I took Daisy to the vet because the oil I was using on her ears obviously wasn't working and then she started developing these pus filled blisters. So the vet scraped her ears and looked at it under the microscope. He said that he didn't see any mites but he suspected that that's what it was. He gave her a shot for mites and gave me some ointment for infection.
    Now my wether seems to have mites. What can I do for him? I can't afford another vet bill. I've been using VetRX on his ears and it hasn't improved at all. His ears are bare. Is there a shot I can give him for mites? I don't know what he gave Daisy and he's not open now.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is strange your vet didn't find any evidence of mites,but says it could of been... :scratch: ..... they just don't...pick up and move..
    did your vet mention what type he suspected?

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    No he didn't and I didn't think to ask. Being fairly new to goats, I'm slowly learning. I wish I would've stopped him before he gave her her shot too. I probably could've bought a bottle of what it was for the cost of the shot,$25.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I would sure call to ask what kind of mites they are and it wont cost you a dime to pick up that phone. :wink:

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I will call on Monday. His ears just look terrible. He has what looks like cracks on his ears. Like what you'd get if you had dry skin.

6. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hi I just noticed we are practicaly neighbors! I had to call in an order for Pen G this am before they opened.
    I have used plain ole cooking oil in kitty's ears to suffocate em.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I even shaved around the base of his ears because I was afraid that his fur was keeping the meds from suffocating the mites. He just keeps shaking his head.

Howdy neighbor :wave:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ask what your vet gave your doe...as a shot to kill the mites.. what kind of mites you are dealing with......ask when to shoot her up again...........did your vet tell you to do that? if you are having a problem with another goat.........
    and after you find out... what the shot was ...if it was ivomac Plus ( do not give to pregnant goats)you can buy a bottle and treat ...all your herd with it...... :wink:

Maybe one of the other monitors or someone with more knowledge ...will be able to tell you ....how to treat.... before monday.... :hug: Keep checking back... :)

9. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    The only thing the vet said is that I should see an improvment in 2 weeks. I'm assuming because Daisy's ears were bald also. So I can use Ivomac Plus on my wether? I only have 2 other does. 1 is pregnant and Daisy is being bred this week. I'm still calling the vet though.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad you are still going to call your vet ....you are very wise.... :greengrin:
    yes...you can use Ivomac Plus on your wether ....but not to your preggo's and I am not sure ..what withdrawl is... before you breed your other doe..if you should treat her.....I would ask your vet that question........you might be able to de-bug her 1x before she is bred.... :wink:
    good luck...

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to treat sucking lice you can use Ivermectin injectable and do give it as a shot. 1cc per 100lbs

For biting lice I am not sure what works best.

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I thought that ear mites were something different then lice or can you use the same treatment?

13. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    It is my understanding that sucking lice are internal & biting external? :shrug: However the shot should take care of both.