How to treat nursing goat with orf on her teats?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MySpecialEd, Apr 27, 2012.

1. MySpecialEd

MySpecialEd New Member

Apr 20, 2012
    :whatgoat: I currently have a break out of soremouth in my herd I've been treating with gentian violet and it has begun to clear up , but , now my MaMa goat and her kids have it. I seperated them into a clean enviroment when the break out started but I knew this would happen I treated her kids with gentian violet but i wasn't sure if I treated her teats it would be safe for the kids to nurse from her still. If anyone can help I'd be very greatful she's still allowing them to nurse so i want to clear it up before it becomes painful to her.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What about cleaning the udder once a day with something like Hibiclens? I'm really not sure. Luckily I haven't had soremouth yet.

3. MySpecialEd

MySpecialEd New Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks for the reply I have been keeping them clean and her sores are not very bad I'm hoping they start to clear up without becoming worse.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You really dont have to treat orf, it will clear up all by itself

5. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I use vasaline mixed with iodine. It seems to help the teats heal quicker, and the vasaline gets on the kids mouth's too. --Soremouth isn't fun, but it will go away. Good for you for keeping a close eye on it, and noticing it on the udder right away. Make sure the babies don't stop nursing and momma continues to let them nurse.