The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a buck that was around 3 weeks old when I got him. Ive bottle fed for about a month and a half. Still feeding about 12 oz 3 times A day. Would like to go to 2 feedings but he starts crying for more milk.

Hes currently in a pen w 2 other kids and 6 adults. Its hard to feed him separately as he wants to be w the herd but the other go through food pretty quickly. Thoughts? Can I just go to two times and let him cry it out? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Hes our first Bottle baby.

·
Registered
899 Posts
What else are you feeding him in terms of hay and grain? When I am cutting out a bottle I reduce it a little each day over the course of a week or so.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just hay.. I bought some Medicated goat food for young kids (for cocci?) But he wont eat it. Ive tried mixing in some cracked corn and hell pick through it and just eat the corn. Any thoughts on getting him to eat the feed? He likes chewing on corn stalk leaves too.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hmm. Well hopefully some others can weigh in on that, but mine always get more interested in their grain when going down from 3 bottles to 2, 2 bottles to 1, etc. Get a weight on him and weigh out your feed so you know what percentage of his weight he is getting in feed. What type/cutting of hay are you feeding? What breed of goat is he?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fresh grass hay from this year. Nubian.last I weighed him he was 26 lbs I think but its been at least a week or two. I weigh him again tomorrow.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
When weening a bottle baby you just cut one bottle..I usually cut the middle bottle..give him breakfast and dinner...by cutting one meal out it will encourage him to eat more hay...as long as I see my babies begin to chew a cud Im ok with them crying..they just want what they want..MILK lol.crying soon ends when they realize its not coming...best wishes

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Get him eating grain before you wean him. I think the medicated feeds are not good to feed, its just continually feeding them medication when they don't need it. Treat as necessary, chances are he won't even get cocci. None of mine ever have.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I had a doeling that was not interested in her feed. I finally got her interested by incorporating a mixture of BOSS, calf manna, and beet pulp. We put it on the bottom and she eats the rest of her ration to get to it.

I had a buckling that wasn't interested either, but I didn't feel comfortable giving him the mixture above because I was unsure how it would impact his calcium/phosphorous ratio. I waited until it was just before his bottle time to offer grain(so he would be hungry) and as the bottles decreased his grain intake increased.

·
14,760 Posts
We just weaned our first bottle baby, and it was very easy.

We did what Cathy had suggested above, we were giving her 12oz/4x a day, cut out the late night feeding. A few days later we cut out the lunch time bottle, then couple days later she got one bottle late morning until we cut that out.

She eats her grain just fine, loves her hay. In fact, every time I look outside she's in the hay lol

She hasn't had a bottle for about a week or so now and is doing great. Now though, the bottle dance has turned into the 'grain dance' lol She is in with 2 older doelings, so we pull her out and let her have as much as she wants of her grain 2x a day.

I think if your buckling isn't eating you need to encourage him to eat, and not give in to the bottle as much. I would make sure he has other kids/goats he can learn from. Our bottle baby was put in with a doeling who was almost 4mo, and that doe 'mothered' her, it was quite cute. She taught her how to graze, she got her interested in grain, etc. So I think that really helps.

I was just telling my BIL this evening, it was the easiest weaning we've ever done. Maybe 2 different times did she scream wanting a bottle, and we got her interested in her hay and her mind off the bottle ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When u cut the late evening bottle and then the lunch one how many days did you wait? How old was the kid? I have 2 bucklings that are w their does right now and are also two months old. Are they old enough to wean too? Was thinking of putting a 5 month old fowling the bottle baby and possibly one of the bucklings in a separate area so I can focus on feeding them and keeping a closer eye on them.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I feed 4 bottles until about 6-8 weeks..depending on how well the kid is doing..then I go to 3 bottles...I do not add more milk to the bottles..I just cut one..by 2 1/2 months we are down to 2 bottles...by three months we are down to 1 bottle in the AM by month 4 we are done : ) of course this is a guide only, the condition and growth of the kid comes into play...some I keep on milk a little longer if for some reason they struggle with growth..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Have a buck that was around 3 weeks old when I got him. Ive bottle fed for about a month and a half. Still feeding about 12 oz 3 times A day. Would like to go to 2 feedings but he starts crying for more milk.

Hes currently in a pen w 2 other kids and 6 adults. Its hard to feed him separately as he wants to be w the herd but the other go through food pretty quickly. Thoughts? Can I just go to two times and let him cry it out? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Hes our first Bottle baby.
My bottle kids are usually getting 16 to 20 ounces of milk 3 times a day by the time they are a month old - doesn't matter whether they are meat breeds or dairy breeds. I would not even consider weaning him until he is eating at least a pound of grain or pellets a day. Grass hay does not have enough protein to support his growth needs, either. There is nothing wrong with feeding medicated pellets as long as you are feeding according to the directions on the bag. If your guy won't eat them, then experiment with different brands or types of feed until you find something he likes. I find Essential Meat Grower pellets, ADM Meat Grower Pellets, or Ranchway Meat Grower Pellets are all palatable enough that I have no problems with my kids readily eating them. I also have a number of Nubian cross kids in my herd, and they get the same thing and scarf them up.

·
14,760 Posts
We weaned our bottle baby at 3mo. We try to keep dam raised kids on mama until they are 3mo as well, unless mama needs them pulled, or they are being pulled for other reasons <4-H, auction, sale, etc.>.

One thing I liked about giving not more than 12oz a bottle, 4-5 times a day when they are young is, everyone was complimenting my son on not having a baby with a 'bottle baby belly' haha, I've heard that so much, but I think I've only ever seen it 1x in person.
By not getting her 'full' at every feeding, it seemed to help her want to eat solid stuff. I've had people tell me that too. If you fill them up at each bottle feeding, they won't try as hard to eat their grain/hay.

Our bottle baby eats about 2lbs. a day. BUT, she was eating with the 2 older doelings and with her being a slower eater... So we pull her by herself in the morning & evening, so we know exactly how much she is eating.

We also get them to adapt to what we feed. I'm kind of over the days of so-and-so not eating one feed vs. another. They either eat what we offer, or they just don't eat. BUT, we find that they eventually get hungry enough to eat it, then we have no issues, and they are right there at feeding time.
We feed a 16% medicated goat pellet that a local feed store makes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts