The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2 month old buckling and from what we have read we need to separate him from mom and the other does as he could breed with them and us not know it.
Our big question: Do we need to be bottle feeding him some milk or is he old enough to be done with milk? We started this process and the little guy just bawled his head off for two days and we started to wonder if we need to be bottle feeding him some milk as he really wasn't eating much and it was breaking our hearts and mom's too.:( I DO NOT WANT TO BOTTLE FEED! I have a 3 week old baby myself and I'm good with milking twice a day but not wanting to bottle feed our Buckling who is getting stronger and bigger by the day. No thanks.
Do we all just need to toughen up and let him cry? They are separated by a fence at night and not in sight of each other during the day. Any suggestions??

Also we are thinking we need to go ahead and sell our buckling as much as I would love to keep him (our first kid) he won't be old enough to breed with our other does when we are ready to do that. He is what I call a dairy mutt Mom is half oberhasli/nig dwarf and Dad was half lamancha/Saanen. No papers or anything we did have vet disbud him and give tetanus but that is all. Is he old enough to sell and how much? We were thinking $50 to just recoup vet bill. Any feed back would be great.
Thank you Jen

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
He is old enough to wean, I personally like to wait until 12 weeks to fully wean though. But as long as he has hay and grain, he will be fine.

$50 is fair, depending on his size. You could wether him and sell him for a pet, and you might get more for him.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I would band him and keep him with his dam for another week or two. I wean some of mine at 8 weeks, but ideally, waiting til 12+ weeks is probably a bit better. If they're eating well at 8 weeks though they're usually just fine to wean then. If you're going to sell him for $50, i'd sell him as a wether.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We have a 2 month old buckling and from what we have read we need to separate him from mom and the other does as he could breed with them and us not know it.

I would not wean until 3 months. You might also consider feeding Mom a little grain or pellets so she can teach her kid what grain/pellets are. Generally speaking, a buckling cannot breed until 4 months of age.

Our big question: Do we need to be bottle feeding him some milk or is he old enough to be done with milk?

The chances of you getting him transitioned from Mom to a bottle are slim to none, although it can be done. Your baby knows the difference between Mom's teat and a nipple and will probably reject the nipple.

We started this process and the little guy just bawled his head off for two days and we started to wonder if we need to be bottle feeding him some milk as he really wasn't eating much and it was breaking our hearts and mom's too.

This is going to happen regardless of what age you wean him. It is just a fact of life. Mom is a source of security and he will raise cain at being separated from her, and she from him. I don't know what to tell you except be prepared for it, because it will happen.

Do we all just need to toughen up and let him cry?

Yes. He will stop in any where from a few days to a week.

We were thinking $50 to just recoup vet bill. Any feed back would be great.
Thank you Jen
I'm not from Texas, but I think you might want to reconsider your selling price. According to people I do know from Texas that are supposedly familiar with the goat market, your guy should be going for at least double that amount. You might want to google goat prices and get an idea of how much your guy is worth at current market prices. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all very much for the feedback. We have allowed him to stay with mom a bit longer and I am researching pricing for our area.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
The price may be fine, if you want to be picky about where he goes and for what "purpose". In my experience, it's a bit harder to rehome a large breed buck/wether as a pet. Much easier to feed him up and sell as a meat goat. Be aware of your market if that is the case, they may want him left "intact".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts