The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning on weaning my bucklings at 8 weeks, which is about 2 weeks from now, and I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

Currently, they are separated from mom at night for about 12 hours. Is it better to do it gradually, such as separating them for longer, or for a few hours during the day in addition to the night separation? Or is it better to just cut them off and one day take them off mom?

I'm inclined to do it gradually, but I'd appreciate any input! Thanks :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I looked at the above post but I don't want to dry up my doe, I want to keep the milk for us! Is there a preferred way to wean when you don't want to dry her up? Do I just keep the kid separated 100% of the time, or can I occasionally let her in to nurse? I really want this to be done with as painlessly as possible and hopefully be able to let them back in together as soon as possible after since I have a limited amount of space to separate and limited number of buddies.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The only way to wean a kid you want to retain is to completely separate from the mom, for a minimum of a month, I've tried doing it for 2 weeks and then 3 weeks, they will continually go to the dam, also, when putting them back together, it might be a good choice to tape her teats securely, so even a determined kid/mom will get the idea.
I had a retained doe that would nurse her dam at 3 years old! Even after her mom had "weaned" her for the arrival of new babies.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
We never have left the kids on the mom(well accept one with a Nigerian and it was bucklings that we sold) but what we do is give them access to some grain pellets-once they get to eating that and some hay pretty good then we stop giving them milk. You can go from 3 feedings down to 2 feedings a day and then eventually just stop. We're finally down to just a 4 or 5 kids that are on milk-the pigs are happy;-).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update:

I have been separating mom from the kids about 18 hours a day - I keep shortening the time they are with mom.

I have had mom separate at night for about 3 weeks. At the beginning I was only half emptying her, then sending her back to her twins so they could have breakfast. Now I milk her until she is empty in the am, then put her back in. The kids try to nurse but don't get much. I have also just been shortening the time I leave her in with them...down from 12 hours (all day) to about 6. This coming week I am going to keep her separated all day, until the woman buying the kids picks them up.

I have also added a little grain to the kids diet in the evening to make up for the lack of pm milk.

So far the process seems fine. The kids can see mom and she them, and they are definitely getting plenty to eat without her.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Update on my situation, I was separating them for 12 hours at night then milking mom out, keeping daughter from her an additional 6 hours then letting them have about 6 hours together before separating them again for the night.... that was working fine... until the baby busted out of her enclosure and I found her in with mom this morning! Of course she was scouring from too much milk... anything special I should do to fix it or will it fix itself with milk with held? I'm not bottle feeding, am wondering if I should just keep them separated 24/7 now to reduce the likelihood of jail breaks. She is 8 weeks old but I swear she was born a week old, she is big, eating grain well and munching hay and browse with the other goaties.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm pretty new at this goat thing but I did just wean mine. I was keeping mine seperate at night and milking in the morning just like you. Then I just weaned them. They cried for a day or so but now seem just fine. If withholding the milk doesn't take care of the scours I would do a fecal and make sure the stress of weaning hasn't caused a cocci or parasite load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts