How Will Your Breeding Program Change???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jun 9, 2009.

1. It won't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Breeding less does

14.3%
  3. Breeding more does

7.1%
  4. Buying more breeding stock

21.4%
  5. Selling more breeding stock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Retaining less kids

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Retaining no kids

57.1%
  8. Retaining most kids

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    With the economy in the way it is, how is everyone's breeding program going to change or will it? What do you have planned for next spring? Are you increasing or downsizing your herd this year? Just any thoughts or predictions on how the goat market will do this upcoming fall/winter and into 2010. The poll question is based pretty much on if you have experience with breeding, but I'd love to hear from everyone. Oh, and let me know if I should ad anything else to the poll.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I cant keep up with the demand so I will be breeding more does out of default and because there is plenty of a demand

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with Stacey. I had not planned on selling so many of my older does but everyone wanted to so I had to. I have a waiting list now for the next batch of babies.
    Even with the Economy the way it is I have sold more goats this year then I ever could of before. It is great for me. :clap:

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I wish I could say the same, I can't sell anything. But, I am still going to breed more does to try and have more to offer.

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Same here goatnutty, I am having a heck of a time trying to sell. Kids all sold, but now the adults i'm having problems with, I guess I haven't really advertised to much though. I am trying to get down to about 25 goats by the end of August so we will see how this goes.

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah kids are gone but, I can't sell the adults....people came out and said they would be back and asked if wew anted the money now or later, we said later because my dad opened his mouth before I could say now and they never came back! :angry:

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh that's frustrating. I just hope it's mainly my lack of advertising and I can sell these guys a bit quicker if I up the advertising.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    website is how I do it because my area is heavily dedicated to doing everything over the interent - east coast

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah, I have a website, advertise on like 10 other websites and everything but, I just hope for the best.

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  11. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I didn't vote because I only have a couple of does so this doesn't really apply to me...but I do know that the market here (in Michigan) is not too hot right now. I see registered goats from very good stock for sale for less than $100 all of the time...and I don't even know if people are able to sell them at that price.

Of course, Michigan's unemployment rate is at 13%...probably closer to 20% in my area, so a lot of people don't really have any money to spend... :sigh:

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    My problem is I have sold way more does then I planned on selling. When people come to see the babies, they offer me more money for the adult does that I can not turn down. It is so hard. The last doe that left with her babies I cried like a baby. I had no intention at all of selling her but it just happened. I still regret selling her but I know it would not of happened if it was not meant to be. The problem this year is I have sold so many of my does I do not have a lot to breed this year. I sold 5 does so I am really down.

The way I have been lucky enough to sell is I have been named the Top Cashmere breeder in Colorado. (I have the Does that have been Grand Champion at the Colorado State Fair every year but one since 2003, last year we had the Grand and reserve champion does at the Estes Park Wool Market and at hte County fair. I also have a add in a Fiber goat magazine and my website.

I say the more you show the more your name gets out there.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am going to be breeding less does, retaining less kids, to keep life more simple. I don't really have a problem selling babies or adults (usually).
    Honestly, at times I consider selling out. I am not really much of a "people person" and it is hard dealing with rude people (both buyers and other breeders). Right now I am dealing with someone who wants to return the goat they just bought, it's so frustrating.

14. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I know how you feel Olivia, I have those sell out thoughts to or at least sell most of them and at this time I am very close to selling a lot of ours, but who knows. I have had good luck with just about every buyer, it's just lack of them around here. I sure hope everything works out for you in the end, that sounds so frustrating!

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yep, sure is. I think it will work out but I have to take the doe back. . . it's hard because this gal was kind of a "friend" and I gave her an awesome discount, and missed out on other buyers. Oh, well. :roll: First time for everything.

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had just 2 does freshen this year, the milk is a big deal to me...DH lost his job of 16 years so I don't even know if I will be keeping Tilly or Heidi, with questioning Heidi's size as far as breeding her in October, I don't know if I can afford to keep the "hayburners", Bootsie was my first and they all are pets first but the milk is so hard to pass up....especially when buying that stuff from the store is questionable and expensive.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I chose 'sell more breeding stock' and 'retain less kids' but its not so much the economical situation (though that doesnt help), its more so the ridiculous drought.

We have been in drought for the last 10+ years. Feed prices are going up and up and up. I cant get anything to grow.

So that is the reasoning behind why I am downsizing my herd and also retaining less kids.

People are destocking so it makes it very, very hard to sell animals. But even so, I'm not going to be breeding less of my does because if they are here they need to do a bit of work for me in return.

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I am kindof in a weird position, but I voted anyway. Actually, with the way the economy is going, that is why I chose to buy milk goats - and ended up here!

Since I only have the 2 does, but want to breed more, I will be buying breeding stock. I also will be retaining a lot of does for breeding, at least on the Alpine side. I probably won't be keeping any nubians, I really only got the one I have for the butterfat content. It will be a few years before my Alpine stock will be considered American standard, since I am registering my doe NOA.

So buying/breeding/retaining is what I chose.

19. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I chose breed more does. I rarely sell adults, so can't say on that, but I've not had any trouble selling kids. I like to keep my herd pretty small and recently upped my limit, I added two new does and retained one doeling this year. So I'll be breeding more for next year!

20. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    From last year to this year I've cut my herd in half. From this year to next I anticipate hanging out with about the same number of animals as I have now. That involves retaining some, but selling breeding stock. Depending on how hard feed/hay and funds come into play, then I'll decided as we go. If things get any rougher then I may sell more animals. I would hate to sell out but there's always that possibility. I don't think I'll ever completely sell out, but there's always the possibility that I'd reduce to just a few to keep the brush under control or it would take over my pastures again.