How would you handle a bossy goat? and other questions...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ChrisAnthumum, Apr 20, 2010.

1. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Hi everyone! I just love you all here...although you don't know me (yet) I have been reading on here for some time and just love how gentle and understanding all of you are with new people and each other. I love that.
    Now my first question is we just got a 5 year old LaMancha whow is milking about a gallon a day for us right off the bat. That's good isn't it? We got her Saturday and this am was the first time we got only 3.5 pounds.
    Question number two and really the big question is she is very very bad with other goats (we were told this before we bought her) she is the queen and would not allow the other goats to get into the pen to eat when she was pregnant. They separated her and then after everyone had kidded she went back in with them and did better but still layed some smack down on any tomfoolery.

Anyhow we have two 'airplane eared' 1 year old does who's horns we banded 4/12 (pray it works!) and a little buckling...
    The Airplane eared heretofor to be known as AE's will play with the buckling and he wants to play the head butt thing when they come in contact (which isn't often because the horns hurting him scare the crap out of me) Although the times they've butted heads the gals seem to hold back on him. He is fearless with them...not so with the LaMancha...he climbed walls to get away from her bad self. She is a pip.

My question (finally) and I know you all are relieved I finally got to the point, is I'd love to put the AE's in with the LaMancha (who runs like camel and moves her head like a raptor so I call her Camel/raptor/goat and who in love with my husband :love: ) But I'm worried their horns would hurt our one and only milker (bad attitude and all..she's a dream on the stand and is so gentle with us so I will not eat her...yet..J/K..or maybe not) :)
    Can I put them together before the horns come off? The Lovestruck Camel/Raptor Goat I don't want to see harmed by the horns, although the AE's may need that defense from Lovestruck Camel/Raptor Goat.
    SOooo the area they would be "together" in is acres. The barn area is 20x20 although they wouldn't have to sleep together in there until AE's horns fell off.
    I am doing a juggling act right now..moving her here for an hour then closing her there and moving them there and letting him go in after them...and on it goes and I'd like to make life easier for myself which I am aware is impossible with goats!
    So ...what were we talking about? LOL

Sprinkles likes this.
  2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Re: How would you handle a bossy goat? and other questions.

Hi there!

The goats should be fine to put together. It sounds like they have plenty of room to "get away" from each other if need be. I would just set up a couple of feeding "stations" so that way if the mean one won't let the others eat near her they can just go to the other "station".

3. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Oooo...I just noticed that you are from Michigan too! Whereabouts are you located??

Sprinkles likes this.
  4. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan

Hi FunnyRiverFarm, thank you for the quick reply.
    I'm in West Michigan up 31 between Muskegon and Ludington.
    Is Hudson Southeast or Southcentral? I'm picturing it by the really nice college (and can't think of the name right now..the one which does not take any federal or state aid but supports itself?)

You don't think the horns will be a problem? The horned girls aren't as naughty (read dangerous) as Lovestruck Camel Raptor Goat...but they do have the horns and I'm sure know how to use them.
    Will they just clash and then move apart? Maybe it would set Lovestruck Camel Raptor Goat down a couple of pegs but I dont' want her killed (yet) LOL She's actually a sweety with us and since we're so new to this milking thing she has made it so easy for us...we figured by getting an older calmer great on the milkstand goat one of us would know what was going on! Except she has small teats (large orifice though) My husband and I look at pictures of goat udders and teats and wish for Big Ol' Carrot Teats. We know what qualification the next goat needs to have! LOL Only goat people would understand the weirdness of that...and we've only been at this since Saturday.

I can set out different feeding stations but they pretty much have a ton of browse too.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

You are talking about Hillsdale College...That's about 15 miles west of me. :)

I got my Lamancha girls from someone in your area! She lives about 30 miles north of Muskegon. If you are ever looking for another Lamancha--let me know and I can get you her contact info. She has some nice goats.

I really don't think the horns will be an issue in your situation...the bully doesn't have them...and the others will probably spend more time running away and avoiding than they will confronting. Things will be tense for a few days but will relax once everyone learns their "place" in the herd.

I understand about the teats COMPLETELY! I have two first fresheners and one of them has great teats that are soooo easy to milk...the other has smaller teats and takes about twice as long for me to milk...and my hands are dying by the time I am done! I definitely can appreciate some nice teats!

6. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan

Yep Hillsdale! Nice college. So you're close to them. That would be nice for college bound kids!

I was just out at a gal's house the other day who had LaMancha's...is the gal you're talking about first name Diane?

Thank you so much! I'm going to discuss putting them together with my husband. It would make life so much easier.

How about the buckling? He wants to challenge the horned gals (and run from Lovestruck Camel Raptor) He's about 11 weeks old, too short to do any mating but if he could mate the horned ones I'd be tickled. Lovestruck Camel Raptor has eyes only for my husband! :ROFL:

7. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio

Hi. I don't have any answers to your questions :shrug: , but just wanted to say: Welcome from eastern Ohio!v :wave:

8. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Just wanted to say "Welcome!" We have a small farm in West Virginia (Nigerian Dwarf goats and one bossy Nubian). So far, we've done really well with just making sure that there are several feeding stations and plenty of room for the more docile goats to get away from her (like someone else also said).
    -Tina

9. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan

Hi Farmgirl!
    Hi Tina! Thanks for the anecdotal story. That does help.

10. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

OMG, it is! :shocked: LOL! What a small world...if it's the same person, that is! I guess there could be more than one Dianne in the same area with Lamancha but what are the odds of that?? Actually, I've done most of my business with her daughter...Super nice folks...and helpful too!

11. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan

I bet it is the same lady. Very nice. I haven't met her LaMancha daughter just her Tog daughter who is a peach! :)

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

well actually I would be afraid that the banded horns on the does would get knocked off prematurely and cause damage and bleeding.

horned and non horned can live quite well together. I doubt they will do any damage to your new does especialy since she is rather aggressive herself.

13. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan

That is what my husband just said Stacey. I think they'll probably get knocked off early as the play with each other.

14. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan

Hi Farmgirl and Hi Tina! I changed my handle to this one...instead of Chrisanthumum which kind of creeped me out. LOL
    Sorry I missed your "hello"!