The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I GOT MY TRIMMERS AT TRACTOR SUPPLY...I HAVE SMALL HANDS SO I CHOSE SMALL CLIPPERS..MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME THAT FIT YOU :)
here is a good youtube video to show you how to trim..good luck :D

the only thing with this video is she says the heel usually does not need to be trimmed..but it does need to be evened out..so do trim them flush with the hoof : )

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Goat hooves are pretty easy to trim, like the video showed. You do need to take some of the heel off like Cathy said, on the back hooves in the video you can see heel overgrowth that should have been trimmed shorter than it was. The best thing to do to see what a hoof should like it is to look at a very young kids hooves. When trimming you also want to make sure you do not pull, or twist the hoof/leg away from the body. In the video you can see she is twisting the hoof away from the does leg (she was most likely doing it for the camera to get a better view), this is very uncomfortable and can be painful for the goat, kind of like if someone tries to turn your hand/arm in a direction it is not meant to go. Also, each toe needs to be flat, but both toes on the same hoof need to be the same length. If you set the hoof down and one toe is sticking out in front of the other, that toe is longer than the other and needs to be trimmed back some more.

If you look on youtube you can find a ton of videos on hoof trimming, this one here is really good because it shows trimming hooves that are somewhat overgrown, a lot of the other videos show hooves that are trimmed every few weeks so not a lot of growth to show new people what to do. If you go out a trim your goats hooves and take pics of the hooves from the bottom and when the goat is standing we can give you more tips on trimming, especially if your goat has hooves that need special trimming to correct them.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The only thing i would do differently is if your goat toes out trim the inner toe shorter this will bring the leg back in line. This is true for both front and back legs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts