Howdy from Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Janne, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Janne

Janne New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Kentucky
    Hello! My name is Jan and I'm about an hour south of Ashland, KY. I acquired my first four pygmy goats last summer, and now I'm totally hooked. :) I'm still really new at this, though, and I've always got about 50 questions at any given time.

At the moment, I have one buck (Frank, 2), one doe (Zoe, 2), and three wethers (Jack and Jasper, 1, and Jesse, 6 months). I'd like to eventually start milking my doe so I can make my own cheese, ice cream, and soap. Right now, I'll settle for just figuring out how to survive Frank's periods of rut with minimal damage, lol.

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome from O-HI-O!! :wave: I raise NPGA Pygmies! I started with 2 and now have 20! :ROFL:

Are yours reg?? I'd love to see them...*hint hint* Everyone loves pics!

Anyway, welcome to TGS! You'll love it here!

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to TGS. :wave: we are glad you are here.

Now are you planning on milking the Pygmy goats? WOW that would be hard. I know people do it but that would be hard.

Do you have some pictures of your goats?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome..Jan.. :wave: .....we are happy.. you have joined.... and we can't wait ...for your 50 questions...LOL free free to ask.. :thumbup:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hi Jan from North Idaho :wave:

Oh I see the girls have already told ya how much we :love: pictures!!!

Feel free to jump on in on the forum topics!!!

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME! :wave:

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!! :wave: You'll love it here!! :clap:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WELCOME FROM SW PA!! :wave:

I raise pygmy nigerian dwarf crosses and I have milked them for the last 7 years.....pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it! Also they give a surprising amount, mine are milked 2x a day and at peak my one pygmy gave me a quart and a half per day.

9. Janne

Janne New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Kentucky
    Nope, my pygmies aren't registered, but that's okay... they're just my pets, not for show. I keep saying that Zoe is my classy lady who could be a show goat, though. She's so even tempered and just flat-out wonderful to be around!

From what I've read, milking a pygmy goat just takes a little creative approach. I'm planning on getting a hand-pump milker when I do start milking... and we'll be building a milking stand! lol I'm pretty little myself, but I'm not that little!

Do I have pictures? :ROFL: Oooooooooooh boy, do I have pictures! Let's see if I can get them to post.

[​IMG]

This is Zoe, the classy lady and matriarch of all that is goat. ;) Or so she thinks! lol She keeps all the boys in line, even Frank. She's very even tempered. Nothing ever upsets her unless you mess with her babies. Then she makes Frank in rut look sweet.

[​IMG]

Speaking of Frank, this is the rascally devil. He and I have something of a love/hate relationship. Sometimes he's sweet, sometimes he makes think all the goat babies in the world aren't worth the trouble he gives me. Right now, we're on peaceful terms.

[​IMG]

Here's Jasper, aka "loudest goat." He's like a watch-goat for our property. If anyone comes around that isn't supposed to be there, he yells at the top of his lungs, sounding the alarm. He yells even louder if he sees my car. How he knows, I will never understand, lol.

[​IMG]

This is Jack, who is my sweet little sidekick. Nothing ever upsets him. Seriously. Even getting him castrated didn't phase him too much. He loves to be pet and snuggled upon.

[​IMG]

And finally, there is Jesse... my brat, LOL!!! He was the first kid born on my tiny little farm, thus he is spoiled rotten. He was born on the first warm day in March (the Ides of March, even!) after terrible ice, snow, and flooding. He loves being in the middle of everything and being on top of everything. Thank goodness we got him banded when we did. I can't imagine having him as a buck!

[​IMG]

This is Jesse at 9 days old. See why he's so spoiled? :roll:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Beautiful! I have one pygmy/nigi doe that is the light grey agouti like Zoe and her son who is just about the same color as Frank!

If you do try a hand pump milker, please go with the UdderlyEZ milker....I have a hand milker called Maggidan's and I will not use it again...it is torture on teats!

11. Janne

Janne New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Kentucky
    Oh wow, thanks for the tip! I was planning on getting a Maggiedans milker. I definitely want to make sure the experience is as pleasant as possible for all parties when it comes to milking. I'll look into the one you mentioned for sure!

12. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Welcome Jan!!!! :wave:

Glad to have you here!!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!! :) Gorgeous goaties!!! :greengrin:

13. Janne

Janne New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks! I've been reading a lot of posts the last few days and learning a lot. I wish I'd known about this site sooner!

14. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome from AL :wave:

BEAUTIFUL goats!!! I love the pic of the baby sleeping :love: