Howdy from NC.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shoafplantation, May 19, 2018.

1. shoafplantation

shoafplantation Member

May 18, 2018
    Lexington NC
    My name is LW. I have a Nigerian Dwarf goat farm in NC with about 30 adults. Farm name is Shoafplantation. Currently I am most interested in discussing polled to polled breeding with other members. I have a post already up titled Breeding polled to polled. Please comment in it.
    I have 1 homozygous polled ND buck and I am searching for another. If someone has for sale a polled ND buckling from both polled parents, I would love to talk with you about him.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    aJadeMagnolia and SalteyLove like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Welcome to the forum!

No input here on the polled discussion, although a local university runs a partially polled Boer herd and they do breed polled to polled. I was surprised to learn this when I went to a FAMACHA class there.

4. shoafplantation

shoafplantation Member

May 18, 2018
    Lexington NC
    What university do you refer to? Maybe I could contact someone in research dept.

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    shoafplantation likes this.
  6. shoafplantation

shoafplantation Member

May 18, 2018
    Lexington NC
    Thx. I will chase this lead.

SalteyLove likes this.
  7. aJadeMagnolia

aJadeMagnolia Member

May 17, 2018
    Welcome to TGS!

I also have Nigerian Dwarf goats and I'm in Virginia. I have some polled does but no bucks yet.

I have polled sheep and it is odd that there is such a phobia about breeding polled to polled in goats. And frustrating because I have been looking for a buck like that too!

Would love to hear about your findings!

Keep up the good work!

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome, glad you are here. :)

10. shoafplantation

shoafplantation Member

May 18, 2018
    Lexington NC
    Yeah, I rad about he polled to polled study that was done in the 60s. They had a lot of hermies born but they concluded it was because of the lack of horns. So many other factors were present that could have cause or contributed, but all blame was put on being polled.
    I have gotten 60+ polled kids off of my homozygous polled male, and as of yet, not a glitch. Im continuing my breeding program in efforts to have a entire polled herd of Nigerian Dwarfs. Im also using heterozygous polled males to increase my Doe stock. Still looking for that second homozygous polled male that I need.

aJadeMagnolia likes this.