The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey..how are you? I have really missed hearing from you. How are the girls? Any new pictures?
@Moers kiko boars figured I'd do a separate thread lol.

Sorry I haven't been around, guys! I try to pop on here and there to keep up with everyone. I have been really busy getting our property cleaned up and have been exhausted by the time I get some downtime! Lots of stuff going on, garden getting set up and planted...we have lots of fruit starting up..woot! My kids want their pool set up so we're about to do that...ugh, I hate the leveling the land, part of it. Our land slopes and finding a fairly level spot to start with....

The hubs and I have been going out every other morning and cutting brush around stumps, trees, the fence line, etc ad hauling it to the ravenous goats lol. They climb the fence when they hear that brush cutter and see us with a big load of brush! But boy can they decimate the huge piles we put in there, in no time. We're actually going to be setting up the electric net fences and putting them out to clear our land....free of charge :p. They're doing REALLY well on all that extra brush. I've been trying to give them lots to eat between that and the alfalfa hay and be on top of parasites and minerals so we have a better kidding year next year. Hoping for heats in July and August!!

Ahhh we got sheep again too! The ewes are with my milkers and doing great!

All the kids are sold (except the keepers). We have one boy still here, though sold, as he's going to a friend's to be used, coming back here next year, then heading off to FL where his new owners are! He's a handsome boy too, excited to see how he does!

Finn, my new mini-buck, is coming tomorrow or Friday! Then Juniper, a very exciting (from my dream herd) doeling comes next week! Super excited. Loving how my little ones are turning out and ready for breeding season LOL. Calla should get her milk star this year! She only needs basically one more test to qualify. Mercy probably won't this year but I imagine next year she will blow it out of the water. Cora and Peach are still pretty early. But we are overflowing with the milk, I'm about to make a bunch more cheese and yogurt and such.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!! Here's some pic spam overload for you :p

Finn - our new Mini-Buck

Finn.jpg

Juniper - our new standard Nubian

Juniper.jpg

Ladybug
K7D_9229.jpg

Peaches kids (2 of the 3) Shiloh (retained doeling) and Iceman (sold)
K7D_9251.jpg

Iceman a couple weeks back
K7D_8863.jpg

Mercy Lou
K7D_9270.jpg

Crazy ears - Lulu and Cleo

K7D_9311.jpg

Lulu and Shiloh - the two retained kids
K7D_9333.jpg

Peach and Corabelle, being silly

K7D_9343.jpg

Calla
K7D_9256.jpg

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And my boys!

Ruger
K7D_9253.jpg

Java

K7D_9365.jpg

Wise Ruler

IMG_20200506_084928126.jpg
K7D_9359.jpg

Ohhhh and I took this pic of my peacock Orion yesterday!! We have 2 eggs from our peahen, waiting on a couple more then I'm incubating them!

orion.jpg

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
WOW!:hubbahubba:Talk about some good looking goats ! The kidds have really grown! Iceman is Amazing! Wow you have really improved your herd. They are something! Love the peacock! They are so beautiful. I just miss hearing about all that you do. So Im glad you took a break to let us know you are good & still here!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've missed chatting! Just trying to get stuff done before the sun kills us all LOL.

I've been trying to wean the two kids slowly as Peach was the only one dam raising. I put them in the next pen with the other young ones and all was well, then Peach was coming to the stand with less milk. Mmm Hmmm I knoew what was happening. Yesterday I caught her in action. Walking up to the fence, callin those babies, and they'd put their head through and nurse. Oy. This girl. I've come to just let her do it and get what I get. I'm going to have to figure something out for test day though....

Also, I forgot to mention we had a stray breed our border collie in Feb. Ugh, I know, my son was supposed to get her fixed and didn't. Anyway, she ended up having only 2 (thank you!!) and they're girls. They're actually so cute and adorable. But we now have 4 week pups here too lol.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
beatiful goats and pictures!

I'm going to have to figure something out for test day though....
When i weaned one of my doelings, i would tape her moms teats. I would do a band-aid across the bottom, then one around that one, then i would take this heavy duty bandage stuff

and wrap that around the bandaids. It takes a few times to get good at it, and if you do it, dont make it too tight around her teat, because it may cut off circulation when her udder fills up

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea. I was thinking about something like that or making a goat bra. She's a great mom, too good of a mom lol. We were able to keep them separate for the last milk test day but this one we're going to have to get creative.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What beautiful goats! :inlove:
So glad to hear everything is well. During this Coronavirus/quarantine period it seems like there is so much more time for property management, building projects, and Goats! Those pictures were beautiful too! I can't wait to see pictures of the baby peacocks as well. Sounds exciting! (thumbup)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could maybe put some ply- board up along the fence, higher than her udder, so there is no chance they can steal milk!
I was thinking that as well, I also have some mesh netting I could zip tie to it, ahhhh but I just gotta make myself do it LOL. My new buckling comes in the morning so I will pull the boy out of that pen to put with the new boy in a separate area within the buck pen. So he won't be able to nurse anymore, just the girl, then I'll figure out something for test day. We are overflowing with milk and she's not feeding them that much, so I haven't been as motivated to do anything lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts