Huge lump-saw Vet

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Apr 29, 2009.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Yesterday I noticed a huge lump on oprah, one of my boer does. The lump is over her ribcage on her left side. And I would say a good 8 inches long, 4 inches tall, and sticks out an inch or 2. I have a pic and will try to post it( but not good with that). It feels hard, not fluidy. I only noticed it yesterday when I was walking behind her but it hasn't been there too long, I do look at them and spend time with them everyday, but if your just looking at her from the side you don't really see it( hope that makes sense). Anyway she is about 5 years I believe. She is eating, drinking, eyelids pink. Couldn't get a temp, home alone as always. Although I did notice a few days ago when I let them out that she went behind the hut and layed down, I just figured it was the weird hot weather we had for a few days. She kidded on 3-20 and all is well there. But she is in a pen with her sister at night, and her sister has been a big bully from day one( went after my turkey and broke its leg years ago). I am wondering if she really rammed into her???? Thoughts please.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Huge lump

If I had to guess, I think you might be on to something about her sister. If you can, try to tap the lump and see if you get any fluid. My guess is that it might be a hematoma (blood pool) from being hit..... but I could definately be wrong.

3. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

I thought about trying that, but don't know if I can get it on my own. When I parted the hair it didn't look discolored.

Attached Files:

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

OMG< OMG I posted a picture :leap: I can break open that bottle of champagne-haha. Anyway the picture is from her head area looking at her, You can see it behind her shoulder area, dip behind that starts her stomach area.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Her head is at the top or bottom of the picture?

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

head at bottom

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I would keep a eye on it and make sure it does not get any bigger. I do agree that it could be her sister butting her or she could have a sliver int it.

Does it hurt her when you push on it? Ok you said it is over the rib cage. Be careful one of my 4Hers had a lump on the rib cage of her doe. It ended up being a hernia. It got worse and worse. They could push it back in and then they had to just put her down because it was getting worse and it would not go back in. Just heck it carefully.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Ok I should of read the new posts before I hit submit.

That is really large. You say that is hard?

9. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

It doesn't seem to hurt her, at least she doesn't scream in pain. I have been very careful, incase it was a broken rib I didn't want to push to hard on it.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

It looks like she was rammed, the swelling may go down, but if it is fluid filled it may rupture.

11. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

Yep its hardish. Not sloshy like it would be fluid filled but I should be able to asperate it later today if hubby comes home. Then maybe will know and will pass it on. From my years working in the small animal clinic I know tumors don't usually present that large that quick. Unless somehow with her baby weight I missed it. :shrug: I tried the best I could to see if there was any sign of an injury( spider,snake bite or a splinter but couldn't see anything or feel any spot that was oozing, but she only let me touch it about a minute. All other vital signs are good

12. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

Well tried with a needle to see if I could get any answers. Nope. Tried several different locations at varying depths and I got very little fluid, less then a drop or two total. It looked kind of like serum( yellowish/with very slight tinge of blood). If it had been fluid or blood filled it should have filled syringe. One spot did ooze and I thought I got lucky but it stopped after a few seconds. So I guess I will call the vet first thing in the morning and see what they think. Because I really don't know. Open for ideas here.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I would say that she was rammed. Check with the vet to be sure, but as you said, tumors don't just show up over night.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I have to agree with Liz......good luck at the vet ...and I will pray ...that she will be alright...... :pray: :hug:

15. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Well Vet believes it was trauma too. Gave me dex for a few days. And told me to give Pen G 7-8ccs, once a day for 2 weeks. I told him she was nursing and he said it shouldn't hurt the kid. Hope thats right. Guess he should know. So now my dilema is trying out how to separte the 2. They are twin sisters and have always been together. Out in the pasture they are fine. I mean rosies always picking on someone but not usually that bad. But just lately she's really been going after oprah. Hubby wants to get rid of rosie. But I know it will really stress oprah out. I don't know what to do. Well my head says one thing but my heart another.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To be honest - I would get rid of the mean one also. Oprah will be fine, as she has her other buddies. She might be sad for a few days, but I promise she will be ok as long as she has friends. Oprah is very lucky that Rosie didn't do that when she was pregnant and make her loose the babies.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad you took her to the vet.........I will pray that she mends.... with a full recovery..... :pray: :hug:

It is hard when you have a goat that is really aggressive ....and starts to damage another goat....I am thinking your DH is right... :( what if....she hit her that hard ...when she was carrying her kids ... or broke her hip....that happened to one of my prize goats... her hip was broken up in the socket area it was shattered....... she was 1 month from kidding...what a nightmare....we ended up selling the doe ...that did the breaking....thought it was the best thing to do ...because we were worried it would happen again to another goat or kid..that kind of blow..can kill a kid... :( ..Your poor doe was hit really hard..I feel so sorry for her :(
    I agree... that separation is a wise thing to do ....no matter the stress on them.......I know how it rips at your heart ....to have to find the other a good home..... :hug: :( It is your decision to make though.....my heart goes out to you....keep us updated on your doe.... :hug:

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I agree with pam on this one..

if she did it to another goat, or a kid... she could do major damage and just cost you more in vet bills and sorrow

19. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Do you have a good reason for keeping the aggressive goat? Is she a really important to your breeding program? Could you keep her some where else at night and not in a small confined area? If you could protect the safety of the other goats but still allow her to be with them during the day, you said that she is fine in the open pasture right? Then maybe you could keep her. If she is not any better than the rest of the goats is your herd that you would want to keep her around for that reason then I would have to agree with everyone else to find her a new home. She may not be as aggressive in another herd.