First I want to apologize to everyone for not being on much lately ... It has been a horrible time around here and it just didn't seem to let up there for a while - but now I think that I can go ahead and put it out there. On August 21st, I brought home 2 calves - Kiss and Bubba (bubs) August 24th - we found kiss in serious distress and she passed about an hour or two later. Devistating, but in hind sight it was my fault, as i didn't do enough research to know that calves are NOT supposed to scour when switching formula and to do aggressive treatment immediately. August 25th am - Bubs is now down and so is Excalibur - my Dragonfly Farm buckling. I had been having troubles with Ex for sometime, but we thought that we had him on the mend. I got going on working on both of them - tubing the calf, warming ex, iv lines - you name it, I was doing it. Ex perked up within an hour, temp went up, and I thought that we were back to good. Friday, August 27th - I got home from work to check on Ex before heading out to a concert and to feed the calf. Ex seemed good - came running over for his pets and electrolytes. Was eating and drinking and had his buddy in a stall to where he did not have to be bothered when eating. When we got home that night, I went in the house - Norm went to check the calf and Ex - and Ex had passed away. He had not been gone long, as there was no rigamortis. Sunday, August 29th - we had the show that I took 5 jr.s to. Show went good - but then I came down with the flu - BAD!!! Tuesday, August 31st - Norm comes down with the flu Saturday, Sept 4 - all 5 that I took to show and 2 others have green snotty noses in the morning - no temps. Gave LA 200. Green snot was gone in the afternoon and everyone seemed fine. Monday Sept 6 pm - got home from work and my march 2010 doeling is off bad - temp high - hunched and REALLY raspy. Moved her to isolation and started on Nuflor. Tuesday, Sept 7 pm - came home to a drowned duckling in the wading pool and the march kid dead when we got home and now a feb 2010 kid is doing the same exact thing. No change in hay, no change in pens - nothing at all new. Move her to isolation (both of these animals were at the fair) Wednesday, Sept 8 - seems to be doing better - hubby said was eating well at night (was at night school). checked on her when I got home and seemed well. At this point anyone showing any respitory signs is on Nuflor. Thursday, Sept 9 - down again - went to work for a couple hours and came home about noon - she was bad. Doing the same that the first did. Now extremely rasps, open mouth breathing, drooling - passed away that night. Friday, Sept 10 - took to WADDL for necropsy, histopathology, bacteriology, fecals, baermann testing, and a mineral evaluation. Gross necrospy results showed severe lesions on the lungs consistant with pneumonia - but we had to wait for the histo and bac-t. Saturday, Sept 11 - two more go down - an April kid (am) and a June kid (pm). Have in Isolation with fluids, antibiotics, banamine, hay, electrolytes. Temps were 104 - 105.5 Sunday, Sept 12 - the April kid is looking better, but the June kid is not. Both still had high high temps but eating and nursing and taking bottle. Monday, Sept 13 - April kid is doing awesome - June kid is going down fast. Got home at almost 5 to feed the calf, feed the herd, and check the June kid - she was AWEFUL looking and I knew she was dying. 15 minutes later she passed. No results from lab. Tuesday, Sept 14 - April kid is amazingly well. no other signs from the herd. Lab histo showed definate signs that are consistant with pneumonia. Also fecals from the 4 samples that I took in were clear except for small amount of cocci - highest being 16 ppg WOO HOO! and the vet told me that I am doing a great job and that the ONLY thing they found on the necropsy was the lung damage. Also the baermann test was negative (will explain this in a few). But unfortunately, the bacteriology report was not in as of yet. Wednesday, Sept 15 - no signs of new illness. YAH! Vet called - bacteriology test showed Mannheimia Pneumonias (Pasturella) and that it is LA 200 (oxytetracycline) and Tylan resistant. It is penn intermediate (might work a bit - might not) and that the meds that will kill it are ampicilin, nuflor, naxcel, excenel, or gentemycins. I am so thankful to the people at WADDL and the excellent care and service they gave to me and a HUGE thank you to Dr. Ellis my case coordinator. currently we are still waiting on the minerology testing to be complete - this is just a test that since I had a "fresh" liver at the lab - we are testing to make sure that the goats are getting the minerals that they should be and if not - what am I lacking so that I can fix it. Also, I wanted to bring up - there is a test called a BAERMANN - it is 8.00 for washingtonians and 12.00 for out of state. It is a fecal test, seperate from your fecal float, that is designed to pick up Lung Worm eggs!!! So YAH there IS a test for lung worms - and all of mine tested were negative. I will update as things continue - but I couldn't post - I just couldn't. At the time I was worried about loosing my entire herd, and between myself, my vet, WADDL and the couple that did know what was going on - I was up to my elbows.