Huge problem with my goaties -ty my friends :-)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Sep 15, 2010.

  1. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    First I want to apologize to everyone for not being on much lately ... It has been a horrible time around here and it just didn't seem to let up there for a while - but now I think that I can go ahead and put it out there.

    On August 21st, I brought home 2 calves - Kiss and Bubba (bubs)

    August 24th - we found kiss in serious distress and she passed about an hour or two later. Devistating, but in hind sight it was my fault, as i didn't do enough research to know that calves are NOT supposed to scour when switching formula and to do aggressive treatment immediately.

    August 25th am - Bubs is now down and so is Excalibur - my Dragonfly Farm buckling. I had been having troubles with Ex for sometime, but we thought that we had him on the mend. I got going on working on both of them - tubing the calf, warming ex, iv lines - you name it, I was doing it. Ex perked up within an hour, temp went up, and I thought that we were back to good.

    Friday, August 27th - I got home from work to check on Ex before heading out to a concert and to feed the calf. Ex seemed good - came running over for his pets and electrolytes. Was eating and drinking and had his buddy in a stall to where he did not have to be bothered when eating. When we got home that night, I went in the house - Norm went to check the calf and Ex - and Ex had passed away. He had not been gone long, as there was no rigamortis.

    Sunday, August 29th - we had the show that I took 5 jr.s to. Show went good - but then I came down with the flu - BAD!!!

    Tuesday, August 31st - Norm comes down with the flu

    Saturday, Sept 4 - all 5 that I took to show and 2 others have green snotty noses in the morning - no temps. Gave LA 200. Green snot was gone in the afternoon and everyone seemed fine.

    Monday Sept 6 pm - got home from work and my march 2010 doeling is off bad - temp high - hunched and REALLY raspy. Moved her to isolation and started on Nuflor.

    Tuesday, Sept 7 pm - came home to a drowned duckling in the wading pool and the march kid dead when we got home and now a feb 2010 kid is doing the same exact thing. No change in hay, no change in pens - nothing at all new. Move her to isolation (both of these animals were at the fair)

    Wednesday, Sept 8 - seems to be doing better - hubby said was eating well at night (was at night school). checked on her when I got home and seemed well. At this point anyone showing any respitory signs is on Nuflor.

    Thursday, Sept 9 - down again - went to work for a couple hours and came home about noon - she was bad. Doing the same that the first did. Now extremely rasps, open mouth breathing, drooling - passed away that night.

    Friday, Sept 10 - took to WADDL for necropsy, histopathology, bacteriology, fecals, baermann testing, and a mineral evaluation. Gross necrospy results showed severe lesions on the lungs consistant with pneumonia - but we had to wait for the histo and bac-t.

    Saturday, Sept 11 - two more go down - an April kid (am) and a June kid (pm). Have in Isolation with fluids, antibiotics, banamine, hay, electrolytes. Temps were 104 - 105.5

    Sunday, Sept 12 - the April kid is looking better, but the June kid is not. Both still had high high temps but eating and nursing and taking bottle.

    Monday, Sept 13 - April kid is doing awesome - June kid is going down fast. Got home at almost 5 to feed the calf, feed the herd, and check the June kid - she was AWEFUL looking and I knew she was dying. 15 minutes later she passed. No results from lab.

    Tuesday, Sept 14 - April kid is amazingly well. no other signs from the herd. Lab histo showed definate signs that are consistant with pneumonia. Also fecals from the 4 samples that I took in were clear except for small amount of cocci - highest being 16 ppg WOO HOO! and the vet told me that I am doing a great job and that the ONLY thing they found on the necropsy was the lung damage. Also the baermann test was negative (will explain this in a few). But unfortunately, the bacteriology report was not in as of yet.

    Wednesday, Sept 15 - no signs of new illness. YAH! Vet called - bacteriology test showed Mannheimia Pneumonias (Pasturella) and that it is LA 200 (oxytetracycline) and Tylan resistant. It is penn intermediate (might work a bit - might not) and that the meds that will kill it are ampicilin, nuflor, naxcel, excenel, or gentemycins. I am so thankful to the people at WADDL and the excellent care and service they gave to me and a HUGE thank you to Dr. Ellis my case coordinator.

    currently we are still waiting on the minerology testing to be complete - this is just a test that since I had a "fresh" liver at the lab - we are testing to make sure that the goats are getting the minerals that they should be and if not - what am I lacking so that I can fix it.

    Also, I wanted to bring up - there is a test called a BAERMANN - it is 8.00 for washingtonians and 12.00 for out of state. It is a fecal test, seperate from your fecal float, that is designed to pick up Lung Worm eggs!!! So YAH there IS a test for lung worms - and all of mine tested were negative.

    I will update as things continue - but I couldn't post - I just couldn't. At the time I was worried about loosing my entire herd, and between myself, my vet, WADDL and the couple that did know what was going on - I was up to my elbows.
     
  2. cdtrum

    cdtrum New Member

    Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    :hug: Oh my word Allison.....so sorry you have been going through hell with your herd and for all you loss....glad you now know what was going on......I am finding that as rewarding is it is to have animals, it can also be sooooo stressful and heartbreaking at times and unfortunately I personally do not hand the stress of a sick animal well......sounds like you are on top of things and handling it all well.
    Hang in there and good thoughts and wishes coming your way!
     

  3. TinyHoovesRanch

    TinyHoovesRanch New Member

    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    Omg Allison Im so sorry you are going through with this, it just doesnt seem fair. I understand if you dont want to answer but I was wondering if you could say which goats you lost? Again im really sorry and pray you dont lose anymore...
     
  4. peggy

    peggy Senior Member

    Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    Once again Allison. It is a sad time in our life when we lose a beloved pet, but to lose several, it must be devastating. I wish you all the best.
     
  5. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    Thank you Ms. Peggy, Laura, and Denise.
     
  6. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    Oh gosh...I am so very sorry Allison. It seems like when things are going great something bad happens. I'm glad you figured out what's going on and hope things will get only better from here. Keep your chin up...i'm here if ya need me. ;)
     
  7. WalnutGroveFarm

    WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

    Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    Im really sorry that really sucks. Ive lost three this year and it has broke my heart dearly. People tell me it gets easier and if im going to have livestock I better suck it up and get use to it. But I dont think you ever get use to loosing something that you care about. Im so sorry you are having to deal with this hugs to you.
     
  8. liz

    liz Well-Known Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    WOW.....You have lost way too many :hug: I am so very sorry :sigh:

    I am glad though that you had the help of WADDL to figure out what caused the illnesses....will you vaccinate for Pasteurella?

    Thank you for the insight and the rundown on how each lost life progressed to the end....this really hits them fast.

    You take care of yourself, hubby too....don't need to have you relapsing :hug:
     
  9. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    The 3 that passed were vaccinated for pasturella and also the one that survived. Yet the ones not vaccinated haven't shown symptoms - but most were started on meds when I realized there was an issue
     
  10. kids-n-peeps

    kids-n-peeps New Member

    477
    Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    I'm so sorry - how upsetting for you and just scary in general. Were there any early symptoms that you noticed that seemed minor or was your experience that they seemed fine and just went downhill fast?
     
  11. liz

    liz Well-Known Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    Now that is scary...with them being vaccinated and still ending up sick.
     
  12. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    That is what I am trying to go back and think about.... But it was just little things that anyone would blow off - a single cough here - or a sneeze there. But 6 days after the show they all had a green snot nose for 12 hours - but never off feed or anything. And then fine - then down and dead in 48 hours. It was nuts!
     
  13. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    thats why they call it silent pneumonia -- before you know there is a serious problem you have a dead goat.

    Im very sorry :hug:

    Seems you have a very tough strain of Pasturella

    the thing with vaccines are they only vaccinate against a couple strains of pasturella. When I was reading up on it I knew my goats could still get it due to there being several strains of the bacteria out there. But I figured getting them vaccinated against at least a couple strains was better then nothing.

    hope you get a full recovery on all your goats :thumb:
     
  14. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    I am so sorry Allison........how devastating...... :(
    that has to be so hard to go through.....my heart and deepest sympathies..... go out to you.......... :hug: :pray:
     
  15. HoosierShadow

    HoosierShadow Senior Member

    Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - have a diagnosis

    Like everyone else, I am so very VERY sorry. I can't imagine how hard this has been for you. I am very sorry for the losses, but thankful that the others seem to be doing fine now. Your definitely in my thoughts and prayers.
     
  16. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - another down!!

    Came home tonight and I have another down - another march 2010. This one was perfectly fine last night, fighting for the fresh water, hay. This morning running to the hay.

    Tonight we pull in and laying down won't even get up - then I go to pick him up and totally full of fluid - won't drink bottle of electrolytes or anything. I have him in iso, with grain, hay, and fresh water. Temp 100.5 - so little lower than I would like to see....

    Please say prayers - I really need it right now.
     
  17. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - another down!!

    oh no Allison!!! Praying real hard. Im so sorry.
     
  18. kids-n-peeps

    kids-n-peeps New Member

    477
    Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - another down!!

    I really hope he pulls through - this is just awful for you and the goats :sigh:
     
  19. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - another down!!

    I just gave SJ a bottle - he drank a bit - but it was more than he drank an hour ago!! I gave him Vit B, banamine, and Nuflor.... matter of fact, the entire boys pen got nuflor and will for the next few days.

    He also talked to me - which he didn't do earlier .... but that could be from banamine. and was wagging his tail.

    I will get up in a couple hours and check on him.... poor boy.
     
  20. kids-n-peeps

    kids-n-peeps New Member

    477
    Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Re: Huge problem with my goaties - another down!!

    In Trob1's post a while back, she noted using the respiragen serum antibodies as part of her treatment. I don't have a clue if that's helpful to you right now, esp. if the strain you have is not the exact same . . . but here is a link to the product:
    http://www.colorado-serum.com/csc/respiragen.html