The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We weaned four babies off two moms a week ago. One mom looks alright but the other ones bag looks engorged. We tried milking her to relieve the pressure but can’t get milk to come out. The other doe milked just fine. These are Pygmy goats. They are not milked just raise their own kids. It’s not hard or hot.. yet… any advice? I tried putting her baby back in with her thinking maybe she would nurse and relieve her but the mom wouldn’t let her near her udder.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Very warm compresses..massage..knead..milk. repeat. she may not be congested yet..but the warm compresses and massages may help loosen things up and relax her. Milk enough to relieve pressure and a bit more...then only as needed to keep her comfortable. If milk does not look right..test for mastitis.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
In addition to the peppermint oil massage (use carrier oil) and warm compresses, you can give her a half dose of banamine to take the edge off it’ll help with relaxing and make her able to let down a bit too.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
It can also be her teat plugs are really holding on, try to gently scrape with your fingernail on the very top of the teat orifice. Do not cause injury.

Then gently strip down with your index finger and thumb, from top to the bottom, to try to get it to flow.

Some plugs are harder to dislodge than others.
If that doesn’t work, do as suggested by everyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I was able to get milk out of her tonight! It was very hot today and she was inside. I wonder if her getting up and down in the stall with the heat helped loosen her up. Thank you all for your advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts