The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are supper excited we bought three new doelings . we needed to add new blood to our herd. the kids are 3 weeks to 8 weeks old. from experience we have found that the stress or the move will activate the intestinal worms. so we fed the kids when they got here about 4 pm at 7 we wormed them.
the little one wouldn't eat at the 10:30 feed.she was humped up looking very uncomfortable.
I had a hard time sleeping that night so early the next morning i went out and fed the kids again and the young doe eat OK. But something was still off.
two hours later i looked in on her and she was shivering. Crap i took her in to the house gave her a shot of antibiotic my wife warmed up a blanket and wrapped her in it. the kid went right to sleep. in her lap. she held the kid for two hours wile it slept. when it woke up. my wife set it down and was pleased with the dance the kid did for her. of course the kid then pooped on the floor. pellets but there were white spots in the poop. when my wife told me i was puzzled i asked could it have been tape worm? Now my wife is the goat wispirer in the family and she said she thought it was.
I have seen tape worm but never in kids that young
Have any of you?
It has been three days so we wormed them again today just to be safe. this time there was no reaction. the kid is doing supper eats like a kid should and loves to dance on the barn floor.

·
8,493 Posts
If the kid's mom had a bad infestation, or the other goats had tapes, then it makes sense a baby would have them, too. (as they would be in the same environment).
We have had dogs pass tapeworms to the pups. (dogs people dumped and they whelped). I would guess goats could get them like pups?

·
14,730 Posts
So glad she is better, I totally understand how frustrating that can be. We dealt with tapeworm years ago for about 3 summers. It was really weird. But I totally agree if they had tapeworm or any other worm in the herd babies would be prone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts