Human pills for goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 3, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hello,
    I saw at the store yesterday, vitamin B1 & thiamin tablets, would you be able to use these instead of the injections?

also does Aloe Vera Juice have a herbal purpose in goats?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I actually got a bottle of B-Complex people vitamins to use on my goats, I crush 2 tablets and add 2 cc warm water to dissolve then suck it all up in a 3 cc syringe and squirt it in their mouths, as far as the aloe juice I know Stacey has used it and reccomends it for problem haircoats and dry skin problems.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I keep B1 on hand just in case. It isnt as fast acting as the injectable stuff but it will work in a pinch and may save the goats life.

I love aloe vera juice, my goats really like the berry flavor too. Helps with their dry skin and for a glossy healthy coat. you can dose individually or put some in their water

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok, cool, thanks! seems easier/cheaper instead of buying injectables.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Theres less chance of anaphylatic reactions to the "people vitamins" than to the injectable.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    great another good reason, thanks liz! Brilliant!

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That was the main reason why I chose to not use the injectible ....you have to be more diligent and up the dose with the crushed pills than with an injection but I'd rather dose by mouth than give a shot that has the possibility of the goat having an allergic reaction .

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    You can give Vitamin B orally, right? The injectable kind I read can (or should?) be given orally. Anyone else heard that? Does that reduce (eliminate) the risk of anaphylatic shock??

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It does as any injectible is a risk, the b complex can be given orally but it takes a bit more time to get into the system whereas an injection is immediate...which is what ups the risk of anaphylaxis.

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am so glad you asked that question. I too was wanting to know.