Hunched Back & Diahrrea?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by empera, Apr 1, 2009.

1. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I just got three new kids and one of the does who is a nubian about 2 1/2 weeks old has a slight hunched back. Her brother looks normal but she just is kinda bunched up. :?

She was the weaker one of the two, and she just got diahrrea yesterday after the 3rd feeding that day. It was yellow and runny. Icky. I called Barbara (Puget Sound Goat Rescue) and she suggested I was feeding her too much milk and to give her an electrolyte packet instead of a normal feeding and that should clear it up.

Is the hunched back because of the diahrrea or something else more serious?

):

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She is probobly a little sore. Have you changed her feed? Is it a different formula?

I would also get a fecal done to make sure there is no cocci. You can also give her some pepto to help her tummy and rump

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She has a belly ache, get a temp on her..normal is 101 to 103.5. Also, you can give her 2 1/2 cc of pepto bismol to help with her belly and diarrhea.
    If her temp is higher than normal, then you really need to be sure she is hydrated and as Allison said, have a vet run a cocci check, and treat accordingly.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Is shee lookin like she is in pain? The hunched back could be an attempt to relieve belly pressure. hows her appitite, temp, is she playin at all? I wouldn't skip a feeding but add the electrolites. I sure someone else will toss in the stuf i missed :greengrin:

5. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Sorry, I just realized that I could have posted this in the Caprine Special Care. :oops:

Kelebek: Barbara started bottle feeding them only two days before I picked them up (the brother & sister) while the other doeling was already on the bottle. She gave me two full Pepsi pop bottles of goat milk (all she had) to help with the transition to whole milk. I did it quite gradually, and she is eating all that I give her.

She also has pink eye and I'm treating her for that and it's starting to disappear. If I do a fecal exam and cocci is present, where do I go from there? (How expensive is a fecal exam?)

Thanks!

I don't have a thermometer besides a human one. Can I still use that? :oops: :oops: Newbie here..

6. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    At first she wouldn't play like a normal kid, but now she's starting to run with the others a little, climb on the rocks we have for them, and wag her tail when I come in. Before she would be shy.

She does look in somewhat pain, I'll try the pepto. She eats when I give her the bottle, all of it.

I have a bucket of water that seems untouched by all of them, will they learn that it's water and to drink out of it? I showed them all the water but never see them drink it. I don't give them bottled water, it's unproductive.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yes, you can use a human one, as long as it is not glass!!!

She is probobly having a reaction to switching to milk - what type of formula/milk are you giving her?

The fecal would be about 10-20 if a vet does it - but make sure and ask them what the "count" is. If it is cocci - DO NOT get the meds from the vet - WAY to expensive! If it is you can order the meds pretty darn cheap from online.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ..It is a good idea to get a fecal done ...but if her scours are the color you are discribing...and the temp is normal..I would give the baby probiotic paste to help with the gut....it may be off whack...from to much milk....maybe give some nutra drench and the pepto to.... :wink:

9. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Kelebek: I'm using whole milk with her. Just ran out of the goat milk that Barbara gave me. But I made the switch gradually. I'm going to take her temp as soon as I get to her. Which will be in about an hour. I'll give you an update. I gave her the pepto and am hoping she will get better. The poor baby.

Toth boer goats: Thanks for moving the thread. :oops: I completely spaced due to me being so worried. I just wanted some valued advice, haha. Anyways, if her poop looks the same as earilier (runny and icky) when I feed her later today, I'll pick up some probiotic paste. (What is it called at the store? or how much does it cost?) I'll also pick up some Nutra Drench anyways.

Thanks!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you have a Tractor Supply store near you, the probiotic paste/gel is in a plunger tube with a blue and white label that says "probias" on it. If you can't get the paste add 2-3 teaspoons of yogurt to her bottle, make sure the label says it has live culture in it. TSC also has sulmet/aeromycin powder just in case you would need to treat for cocci....but best to have a vet run a fecal first.

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Could it be that she's feedin cow's milk? Even if its whole its processed all to heck with all those additives they use to make it like it was before they processed it. And please make sure to get that count on the fecal. I didn't , it was scary.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Looks like Liz ...answered where ..you can get the probiotic paste... :wink:
    You are very welcome....I also seen that your post needed to be moved.. :wink: :greengrin:

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    All advise is good I just want to add here that you shouldnt give electrolytes and milk at the same time - I dotn know all the reasons but it isnt good for the goat. They need one or the other not both at the same time.

now back to what you all were discussing......

14. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Her temp is normal :) - 102.2

& she seems to be getting more active. It's just very rainy out so I don't see her jumping about too much. Which is good that she's staying out of the cold and being warm.

Stacey: That's what Barbara said, but I wasn't sure when to get in a feeding and add electrolytes. And how long I can wait to do one or the other after the initial one.

Idk. :shrug:

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well I would wait till the next feeding before adding in milk - but dont give her her whole amount at once - give it in small amounts as you dont want to cause diarreah due to to much food at once.

16. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Be careful of the quantity of milk you are feeding them. Just because they "will" drink a full bottle, doesn't mean they "should" drink a full bottle. Being a little hungry is better then being "stuffed". And put a little Karo syrup in their bottle, is the milk warm enough?

17. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I believe I've been giving her less milk than reccommended. (I'm not starving her) Barbara said to give them 10% of their body weight. I believe she's about 5 pounds. *checks math* 10% would be .5 and converting that to ounces = about 8 ounces (half a pound/ 16 ounces) :scratch:

I've been giving her 8 oz. or less 3 times a day. She's two and a half weeks old. Is this correct? Sometimes she doesn't eat all of it.

Have I been doing it wrong? :help:

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yeah, that's too much volume at once, when I fed Lucky, I was feeding him 5 ounces, 4x/day.
    (but I worked up to that of course...started at 2-3oz) I switched to 3 a day feedings at 4 weeks I think, but I slowly went to 8 ounces over a couple of weeks. I think I was only feeding 8oz for the last week or so. Then, I cut down again, slowly, as he eat more hay.

19. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I'm so confused. I want to listen to what everyone says, but I'm so unsure who to listen to! :hair: I just want her to have the best nutrition and health possible.

They should just keep a strict chart of the amount of milk you give and when. :shrug:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is nubian right? then yes I would keep at what you are doing. NO offense to Di though :)

I would feed her more often though more like 4 times a day and see if you can back off to like 7 oz just to see if that helps her