The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this morning one of the 10wk old doelings was hunched up trying to pee and only a thimbleful came out. Otherwise she seemed fine and fairly active. Though no one is lively in the barn today (rainy day stuck inside) She and her sister are new (got them Monday) so are separated from the rest of the herd and they don't seem to be drinking much. Though they are tiny wee little ND's and I have no idea what is enough. They are so wee!

Sister is peeing like a champ every time I turn around. So it's not both that aren't doing well.

-Temp is 101.2 on the sickly one
-pooping berries
-Fecal is light on tapes but very little coccidia
-Started worming for tapes today (our Angoras had tapes again) and since we just had a recent outbreak of Coccidia (last week one of the other does in the other barn had scours and was high in Cocci eggs) and it's wet wet wet. I am going to dose all with preventative dimethox.
-Doeling is not dehydrated, no loose skin and when you pinch what you can, it springs back.
-doesn't seem bloated, seems a little less puffy than usual actually
-She's eating hay and I brought in some maple leaves which she happily ran over to eat.
-Gave the tiny sisters some electrolytes and they didn't touch it. I've never had that happen before. But I syringed some for the sickly doeling and she suckled right onto the syringe. She happily took it and asked for more before she turned away and was done. she got about 15cc

My first thought was dehydration and that she's not getting enough water but I'll give her more electrolytes in a couple of hours.

Then I thought worms but the load isn't high on anything and her eyes are perfectly bright pink.

My next thought was UTI but she has no fever, and she seems like maybe that's a little low. The electro was warm so hopefully that helped. It was really hot/humid the past 2-3 days and today it's cold in comparison and rainy. The sisters have a large plastic dog crate to sleep in. We cleaned that out good and bedded it with new hay which they immediately went into to sort out how they want it and see if there were any tasty bits they didn't want to lay on.

What else should I do?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sounds like she maybe wasn't as weaned as the other one, and maybe missing mom's milk. bottle feed her the electrolytes if she will suck them down.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She liked the bottle but mostly suckled on it. She took not quite a half ounce. The whole is good size so she wouldn't have to work too hard but it's an old human baby bottle so it's not quite perfect for her. We haven't bottle fed any babies yet.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I would continue to offer electros, see if the peeing amount increases any....you said she is hunched up? which is alarming to me..should could have a bit of a bladder infection...If she doesnt begin to improve by this evening I would be heading for antibiotics...Penicillin would be a good choice for this.... of course all the supporting therely we do like B complex and probios : )

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
B Complex and Probios.

You could also try some warm milk in a bottle. Might help her to feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
B complex and any B shot is water soluble, so any excess is she doesnt need is removed from the body.
But B complex is 1cc per 100lbs, you can give her the entire cc though, it wont hurt her

Pen G is 1cc per 100lbs, so she'd get about 1/4 of one.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Pen is 1 cc per 20# so for her 1 cc : ) be sure to go sub q and pull back the plunger..see blood re adjust and try again..no blood is good to go ( Im sure you know this..but I feel I need to say it all the time lol)

B complex is 5-10 cc..for her at 20# I would go 2-3 cc I think

wow..little bits and my dose differ quite a bit...so I did a bit of checking..There is conflicking info but my two trusted sources have this to say..

here is what I read on goat-link..
DOSAGE: 1cc/20lbs goat weight is the average figure to use

Goat Dosage:
Kids:1-2ml SC (SQ) for baby goats (8-25lbs), 1 or 2 times daily.
Adults: 6-10 ml SC (SQ) for adult goats, 2X daily.
You can double recommend maximum dose on first injection, then divided daily dose and inject every 12 hours for 2-3 days, then 1X daily thereafter.
It should be administered for 5 days after all symptoms have disappeared.

Tennessee meat goats :
Penicillin, which is also a thick liquid, should be dosed at 5 cc's per 100 pounds body weight for five consecutive days;

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
If you can flush her good with electros she may just need more fluid, if she still turns her nose to the electros, add a tiny bit of honey to make it sweeter..might get her to drink more.keep an eye on her temp as well....but if she continues to struggle then she may need the pen...

Best wishes

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Pen is 1 cc per 20# so for her 1 cc : ) be sure to go sub q and pull back the plunger..see blood re adjust and try again..no blood is good to go ( Im sure you know this..but I feel I need to say it all the time lol)

B complex is 5-10 cc..for her at 20# I would go 2-3 cc I think

wow..little bits and my dose differ quite a bit...so I did a bit of checking..There is conflicking info but my two trusted sources have this to say..

here is what I read on goat-link..
DOSAGE: 1cc/20lbs goat weight is the average figure to use

Goat Dosage:
Kids:1-2ml SC (SQ) for baby goats (8-25lbs), 1 or 2 times daily.
Adults: 6-10 ml SC (SQ) for adult goats, 2X daily.
You can double recommend maximum dose on first injection, then divided daily dose and inject every 12 hours for 2-3 days, then 1X daily thereafter.
It should be administered for 5 days after all symptoms have disappeared.

Tennessee meat goats :
Penicillin, which is also a thick liquid, should be dosed at 5 cc's per 100 pounds body weight for five consecutive days;
Wow, interesting, I've always gone by the doses I said. I use that for goats and cows. Many cattle and goat people out here go by that too

I do tend to give a bit more b complex than what I said above though

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Wow, interesting, I've always gone by the doses I said. I use that for goats and cows. Many cattle and goat people out here go by that too

I do tend to give a bit more b complex than what I said above though
Im not sure its a ones wrong the other right..but just how different folks do it :D I have read others do the 1 cc per 100# as well...what I figured is Goat metabolism is so fast the 1 per 20# seemed to be sensable to me...cows are much slower to metabolize then goats ...

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I keep mine in the frige too..just warm it to room temp. Sub Q is better..too much is lost doing it oral...

Yes I think they smell the medicine coming lol

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Hard to say with all the different advise, and people out there :) I say do what works for you!

I keep all my stuff in the fridge, even if it doesnt have to be. SubQ or IM even if its cold, I do hold in in my hand for a bit to warm it up though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts