The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our son has a hunting dog that is due with puppies, basically any day. Likely Tomorrow is the first possible day, but through the weekend this weekend is also possible.

It is a running walker type of hunting dog, and is about 7 years old. She is in good health and has been wormed on a fairly regular basis and/or as needed throughout her life. She is an outside dog. He hasn't wormed her and wondered if she should be wormed now, or just wait until she has the puppies and then worm her?

If she is wormed after she has the puppies, I would assume it doesn't poison her milk? Someone told him that, and I don't think that would be the case, but am not sure either. I know little about dogs.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to when to worm her?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I actually got through to the vet and he said it would be likely be safe to give her the wormer, but if it was his dog he wouldn't do it.

So, we are waiting! Gosh, didn't know this stuff caused so much worry and concern!

Just got through with goat kids this spring, and now the hunting dog! YIKES!:lol:

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I would just wait until she whelps, then de-worm her and get the puppies on a de-worming schedule at 2, 4, 6 & 8 weeks. For the pups I use safeguard paste or liquid, 1cc per 2-5lbs (depending on how bad worms are in your area) for 3 days in a row each time.
You can do the same with mom, it just takes a LOT more de-wormer. So I usually pick up some Drontal Plus from the vet, or get a tube of Strongid and some praziquantel caps online. Strongid is 1cc per 80lbs, Prazi is 34mg per 10lbs.

Also don't forget to put the pups on coccidia prevention.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dog puppy worming and cocci?

I would just wait until she whelps, then de-worm her and get the puppies on a de-worming schedule at 2, 4, 6 & 8 weeks. For the pups I use safeguard paste or liquid, 1cc per 2-5lbs (depending on how bad worms are in your area) for 3 days in a row each time.
You can do the same with mom, it just takes a LOT more de-wormer. So I usually pick up some Drontal Plus from the vet, or get a tube of Strongid and some praziquantel caps online. Strongid is 1cc per 80lbs, Prazi is 34mg per 10lbs.

Also don't forget to put the pups on coccidia prevention.
Cocci? How or what is used for that in puppies?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck! Hope it's an uneventful whelping!

Baycox dose for pups is the same as goats, 1cc per 5lbs if using the 5% solution. 1cc per 2.5lbs if using the s.5% solution.
Thank you! Gosh, so glad we already have the cocci product for the puppies! Even if they don't need to have it until 4 weeks according to this link, so glad we own it and know to use it! Thanks to you!

I hope it's uneventful!

We just started giving her milkade, as a fellow hunter said it was a good idea!

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I always do the cocci prevention every time I deworm them, just dose them a few hours before or after the dewormer on the 1st day, and continue with the dewormer for the next 2 days. It's safe for 2 week old pups :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Worming mom and puppies

I always do the cocci prevention every time I deworm them, just dose them a few hours before or after the dewormer on the 1st day, and continue with the dewormer for the next 2 days. It's safe for 2 week old pups :)
So the cocci prevention and worming @ 2 weeks? Or the worming at two weeks,4,6,8 and cocci at 4weeks?

Sorry for al, the questions!

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I do cocci prevention every time I worm
So cocci meds and wormer at 2, 4, 6 & 8 weeks. I do the cocci treatment, one dose, on day 1 on the 3-day worming. So at 2 weeks they get cocci meds and wormer on day 1, then just wormer the next two days, repeat for weeks 4, 6 & 8.

So around here it would look like this
Pups 2 weeks old on say the 25th, lets say they're 5lbs. So on the 25th at 10am or so, I would give them 1cc of Baycox. Then later that day, say around 2pm, they would get 1-2cc of safeguard (depending on the worm prob.). Then on the 26th and 27th they would just get the wormer, same dosage.
Repeat for week 4, 6 & 8.

The only reason for all the cocci treatments is because they can get it from flies even, so better safe than sorry, cocci can make them very sick.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Puppies cocci and wormer

Well, the puppies are arriving! Now! So, far 5!

Not sure if more are coming, but five healthy ones so far!

So, two weeks from today the puppis get wormed and cocci treatment!

Mom will get wormed later today? That is and was our original plan for her, but he wanted to worm her a few days ago...anyhow, today should be fine.

Back to the action!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, as the dogs aren't goats, still need to worm mom. Yesterday got crazy and the day flew! She took into the afternoon to deliver all of those pups! The heat index and temp were very high here! Humidity was so high! Awfully uncomfortable day to deliver! We were thinking of worming her today with ivermectin, but were told to wait until the puppies are two weeks old? We thought best right away, like the goats, then worm immunity will pass from mom to pups? A friend of his says, NO, Wormer it will poison the Milk and kill the puppies?!? Really, I haven't read about that anywhere and read the wormer directions which I would think would then say, do not give to lactating...?

Will wormer poison milk? Should we us a different wormer?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.