Hurricanes and Tornadoes?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Sarah595, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Sarah595

Sarah595 New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Florida
    What do you guys recommend to do in case of hurricanes and tornadoes? I don’t recall ever doing anything for a tornado, though we had a pretty nice metal shelter that the goats could hide in when I was a kid - if you know inclement weather is approaching and you don’t have a real barn, what kinds of shelter can you use? We typically get really high wind speeds about once a year here, and I’d like to plan for a safe place to keep the goats, but I can’t guarantee we will have a barn with all four sides covered. I’d like to do something that can be used most of the year as shade and something to add to it (if that helps and won’t make it worse) - Is it better to just bring them into the garage? It might be a whole day or two if strong winds. Do any of you have experience sheltering goats during known inclement weather you had the opportunity to prepare for?

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    When storms are approaching, if you don't keep collars on your goats, make sure they have identification by tags on breakaway collars, ear tags(???) or ankle tags. Ear tattoos are good, but most non goat people do not know to look for the tattoos or what they mean.
    If you don't have storm cellers, etc. the best thing is to leave them an escape if the barn were to collapse. Wet in rain is better than crushed and dry.

For you, maybe the garage is best. When I was in fla, we only had a stupid carport!

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’ve been thinking about this a lot - my garage is about 10 seconds from my goat pen so I could get them there easily - about one or two minutes to get to our storm cellar. Garage would be option 1.

If it’s not too severe, they have a very sturdy mini-barn, and I would just put collars on them!!

4. Sarah595

Sarah595 New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Florida
    That’s a really good point about identification tags! Sounds like garage is the way to go :) Thanks!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    if you have to evacuate and leave animals behind..many paint a contact number on their animals so if they get lost they can be returned. Some paint right in their side..some paint on hooves..which may rub off easier.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They say garages are not safe. :(

happybleats likes this.
  7. Sarah595

Sarah595 New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Florida
    What would you recommend instead? I’ve seen those hurricane proof barns but they look really expensive like 10-50k. For a yearly event when we get Cat 3ish winds on average for one day, and we only have 5 acres, it seems like a really big investment. If a simple metal shelter could be set up to be safer than the garage, I’m all ears, but maybe we could do something to make the garage safer? We’d probably have 10-20 goats in a 2 car garage - is it that they would crowd and fight? I just can’t imagine leaving them out in 100 MPH winds

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sarah595 likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Call your local Agriculture agency.(Extension office, 4-H office, etc.) Ask them what they recommend for your area. I know a lot of goat people in Fla. and none of them have anything special. Open pole barns and shelters. One is in Lake Wales, she used to sell her goat products at the Farmers market in downtown L W. not sure if she still does or not. She has weathered many of your fine storms!

toth boer goats and Sarah595 like this.
  10. Sarah595

Sarah595 New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Florida
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California