The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to feed my goats this afternoon I found my sweet girl Smokey (Nigerian dwarf) in a VERY muddy spot and wouldn’t budge, I had to carry her back and she has seemed very odd. She is leaning towards the right side of her body and isn’t putting much pressure on her left side. I don’t know what could have happened since she was fine abd normal earlier today, lll be putting pictures of her. Could it be a spinal injury, something ingested? She also leans her head whenever she is chewing something and it’s almost like sge seiezes
Also should I put her baby with her or keep them separate, it might be stressful to have them apart and together so I’m not sure what would be best.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Get thiamine in her asap..500 mg. Are her eyes dancing or twitching?

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
She may have gotten dehydrated or if hot where you are..heat stress/shock, which can cause seizures..or rumen not working great due to being stuck sbd stressed could cause polio. Either way it is good to give. Also offer electrolytes to help get her hydration up.
Get her temp...if its pretty elevated. Again..can cause seizure like symotoms

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She may have gotten dehydrated or if hot where you are..heat stress/shock, which can cause seizures..or rumen not working great due to being stuck sbd stressed could cause polio. Either way it is good to give. Also offer electrolytes to help get her hydration up.
Get her temp...if its pretty elevated. Again..can cause seizure like symotoms
We gave her the thiamine, her temp is elevated but I do remember her lagging behind this morning which was unusual but they do lag behind sometimes (cause it’s genre comfy or someone bullied them that night and they are butt hurt) so I didn’t think much of it. She’s laying down and having a hard time holding her head up it seems like. I’ve never had this happen before so I’m just really scared in general. I also gave her fresh water and she drank some.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I went to feed my goats this afternoon I found my sweet girl Smokey (Nigerian dwarf) in a VERY muddy spot and wouldn’t budge, I had to carry her back and she has seemed very odd. She is leaning towards the right side of her body and isn’t putting much pressure on her left side. I don’t know what could have happened since she was fine abd normal earlier today, lll be putting pictures of her. Could it be a spinal injury, something ingested? She also leans her head whenever she is chewing something and it’s almost like sge seiezes View attachment 209697 Also should I put her baby with her or keep them separate, it might be stressful to have them apart and together so I’m not sure what would be best. View attachment 209694 View attachment 209695 View attachment 209696 View attachment 209698
She is pooping normally

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
What was her temp?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
104.5 is not terribly high..but with everything going in I would start antibiotics. What do you have on hand?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
104.5 is not terribly high..but with everything going in I would start antibiotics. What do you have on hand?
Right now I only have penicillin and thiamine but I’ll be able to get antibiotics in the morning (I was going out to get stuff earlier but everything closed early since it’s Sunday)

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Penicillin wouldn't hurt to start. If she does well just stick with it. 1 cc per 20 pounds sub q. 2x a day.. Be sure to pull the plunger back before injecting. No blood is good to go..see blood, re adjust and try again. Not to scare you but you should know,, Pen in the vein can kill a goat.

Best wishes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Penicillin wouldn't hurt to start. If she does well just stick with it. 1 cc per 20 pounds sub q. 2x a day.. Be sure to pull the plunger back before injecting. No blood is good to go..see blood, re adjust and try again. Not to scare you but you should know,, Pen in the vein can kill a goat.
Thank you for letting me know! I WILL make sure of it
Best wishes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to update y’all, she is walking this morning and her eyes are no longer moving a lot; she still seems to be going through it pretty rough but other than that; I’m still debating to put her kid with her (I kept them separate because of the seizing and later not able to stand)

·
Registered
302 Posts
If it is polio you will see quick results like that after you start treatment. But, it can relapse easily so keep the treatments up for 24 hours. Thiamine injections every 6 hours. I always treat for listeriosis at the same time because the symptoms are so similar.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts