hurt leg

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Nov 25, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so my big oberhosli (sp) that I have tried jumping the fence this morning and got her back leg caught....it is not broken but she gashed it open bad and she cant walk on it, like her hoof curls over. It is cut in the front of her back leg. she is eating and everything but I know it hurts her bad. it is not big enough for stiches but when she was laying there she had a pool of blood. what should I do for her??

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would flush the wound out really good and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. I would also wrap it to help it stop bleeding. But don't wrap it too tight.

It sounds like she might have done some damage to a tendon or ligament if she can't walk right on it now. I might call the vet out if you can.

:hug:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would definately have someone take a look at it. If it is bleeding that much, she may have torn an artery/vein to the hoof that needs to be cauterized. Also it might not look to big, but it might be deep or under the skin might have a huge whole that needs a drain.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the way you are saying her hoof curls over sounds a little weird ....maybe her hoof is broke somewhere also? I would maybe consult a vet? :(

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok well, the bleeding has stopped and she is now holding her foot normal so I am thinking it is just super sore. I am going to clean it well and wrap it in gauze and vet wrap, so hopefully the soreness goes away because I cant give her really any meds as she is pregnant.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    has she had a tetanus shot lately?

I believe Penicillin Procaine G is safe for pregnant goats- make sure to draw back on the syringe plunger when the needle is inserted to make sure you are not in a blood vessel If you are in a vein, withdraw the needle, expel the blood and re-stick the goat in another injection site.
    But you could Ask your vet for sure.........

7. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    yup already put her on pen and gave her some vit B as she was shaking a little bit and wanted to give her a little extra boost. She got a cdt this last spring so she is good.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If it just happened then the shaking is shock and it's normal. I would keep and eye on her temp and comfort her.

Spice shook like crazy after I freed her leg. I gave her banamine and let her sleep in my lap, but she is small compared to a preggy ober. :slapfloor:

9. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    oh if I let this goat she would crwl into my lap lol. she is doing fine now, I am not letting her walk cause I dont want her to hurt herself anymore.....dumb goat!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds good........ :) :thumbup: .. Hope she gets better soon.... :pray:

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I hope her leg heals up quickly and this doesn't affect her pregnancy. Best of luck to your doe! :)