The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a weather and something is up with his front knees .. They are swollen but his temp is norm. Gave him BoSe 3 times so far and still nothing gunna give the vet a call on Friday but does anyone know what this sounds like I've researched but no info

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Is he in pain? Any sores near them?

My growing boys will sometimes swell in the knees and hocks. They walk and act normal though. I've chalked it up to growth swelling... dogs get it so why can't goats? I actually know people who say it is a good thing because it translate into a fast growth rate... I kept up with it and all of the ones with swelling did grow faster than usual.

·
14,456 Posts
You might want to have him tested for CAE; Caprine Arthiritus Encephalitus if he's over 6 mos.

Dani does make a good point. What is this guy's age?

·
Registered
812 Posts
What's his feet look like my buck had a limp last month his hoofs grow so fast that caused him walk off some trimmed hoofs all way down two days later he was running after the does.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, he walks weird on his front legs because of his knees and if he isn't sound by August he can't be shown... Fair rules

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Ok that'd be great. Is the swelling warm?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
By walking weird do you mean he's limping or turning his leg in or out?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes the swelling is warm sometimes it isn't... And he sorta limps and the kinda turn in a little

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It sounds like growth swelling to me. Picture's could help..if it is consistently warm then he may have an infection. I mean like warmer than his boy temp should be

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya thanks alot of people ik are saying it might be arthritis but he's only three months old... Ill get pics for u tomm. Though

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
This is one of my wethers at 3 1/2 months. His knees were swollen a little bit bigger than this for a while... this is about half the size they were. It went away after a couple weeks. In anxious to see pics.

Dog Dog breed Green Carnivore Grass

Working animal Dog breed Goat Grass Plant

Plant Dog breed Goat Carnivore Fawn

Attachments

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Looks like growth swelling to me! Aspirin will take it down some. 1 adult (325mg) crushed in water.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Yeah he doesn't look deficient. Usually weak knees or pasterns are a sign of selenium deficiency. As long as he has a good free choice loose mineral he should be ok.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.