The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please read. I have a question at the end about my breeding possibilities.

This is from Wikipedia
"The concept of heterosis is also applied in the production of commercial livestock. In cattle, hybrids between Black Angus and Hereford produce a hybrid known as a "Black Baldy". In swine, "blue butts" are produced by the cross of Hampshire and Yorkshire. Other, more exotic hybrids such as "beefalo" are also used for specialty markets.
Within poultry, sex-linked genes have been used to create hybrids in which males and females can be sorted at one day old by color. Specific genes used for this are genes for barring and wing feather growth. Crosses of this sort create what are sold as Black Sex-links, Red Sex-links, and various other crosses that are known by trade names.
Commercial broilers are produced by crossing different strains of White Rocks and White Cornish, the Cornish providing a large frame and the Rocks providing the fast rate of gain. The hybrid vigor produced allows the production of uniform birds with a marketable carcass at 6–9 weeks of age.
Likewise, hybrids between different strains of White Leghorn are used to produce laying flocks that provide the majority of white eggs for sale in the United States." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis

If you have ever raised Cornish cross you know the profound effect of said breeding.

I just want to know if there is a common cross breed in goats that produces some positive or desirable outcome? I have a Lamancha buck and he will need some lady friends ASAP! I like the medium production of medium fat content milk of the Lamanch. I just want to know if I can and should get a different breed of goat for him to produce more desirable offspring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a dummy when it comes to genetics. What type of offspring are you looking for, maybe that info will help others reply. Like, do you want milk production, milk fat, meat.....

·
1,524 Posts
Lamanchas have decent fat % in their milk, pretty close to a Nubian.

Personally, I want to breed my bucks to does of the same breed unless there is some reason I can't. Half of the daughters of my first year of breeding my new herd were crosses, Nubians and Lamanchas, the others were all Nubian.

The crosses did not grow any faster, produce any more milk or were no healthier than the full Nubians. However, the fullbreds, bucks and does, sold much faster and for a better price than the half breeds did.

Last fall I bred one of the Nubians to my new Lamancha buck (I only had her sire and I didn't want to breed her to him). The kids is cute, but he is not better than the fullbloods. He has larger than elf ears, and his only purpose in life will be as meat. He is built very nicely, but he doesn't have enough of the breed characteristics of either breed to do much of anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts