The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been working with Hyee for going on 3 days. So far she squats, bites, kicks dances tryes to turn herself around or hutches herself in the corner . My stand has no head gate which i know i should work on. Was hopping 2 ropes from ether side would do the trick lol nope. I fill like giving up on her as i know she probably does not have alot of milk but im hopping by her 3 freshening she will be producing. She milks easy its just her manors are bad. I have a friend coming over today thats going to try to help me with her. Hopping for some tips lol. Newbie trying to teach Newbies is not working. Hopping my friend can work with her and me for a few days.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
The headgate is the most important part of a milk stand. She knows she has you "where she wants you", so you can't give up. Make the head gate you only need a few pieces of 2x4 and a few screws, 1 hook and eye. It's easy, you will have it done in an hour. Why struggle? I had my whole stand made in 90 minutes. I used scrap wood for my first effort, I only wish I'd made it taller

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
yes, get a head gate and then just ignore her antics and carry on milking when she gets unruly. I never let them get their teat out of my hand, and some times that leads to bruises and acrobatics on my part. I also use a hobble system, I'd get pictures but I have loaned it to a friend for her problem doe.

9 times out of 10 if you ignore their silliness they will give up, but the second they get you to stop milking they have learned that it can be done and the fight starts all over.

·
1,172 Posts
a Head gate is super easy to build too.
I will have to take a pic of mine. Its nothing fancy, but it works well. MUCH easier than the ones that are 'pre-cut' from the sides. Also, hobbles! I am going to be putting hobbles on mine, just in case I ever need them. Using Velcro! :)
They can't get out of Velcro. LoL I am going to put screws into the back of the stand (from behind) and attach string/rope, then thread Velcro to wrap around each back foot if I need to. It's just an idea...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
a Head gate is super easy to build too.
I will have to take a pic of mine. Its nothing fancy, but it works well. MUCH easier than the ones that are 'pre-cut' from the sides. Also, hobbles! I am going to be putting hobbles on mine, just in case I ever need them. Using Velcro! :)
They can't get out of Velcro. LoL I am going to put screws into the back of the stand (from behind) and attach string/rope, then thread Velcro to wrap around each back foot if I need to. It's just an idea...
This sounds exactly like my hobble set up. I put the velcro ankle strap around their lower leg and tie it down to the table. I only ever need them when I am training the does at first but it makes keeping them still soooo much easier.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the head stand put together. She can still set thought and dance. The only way i can attempt to milk her is to hold her leg up so i cant hobble. I almost put up with a kicker before one thqat lays down goodness lol.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This sounds exactly like my hobble set up. I put the velcro ankle strap around their lower leg and tie it down to the table. I only ever need them when I am training the does at first but it makes keeping them still soooo much easier.
Velcro!!! You magnificent bastard, Velcro is freaking genius!

I've been struggling with belts and ropes that I can never fasten tightly enough on my pygmy doe, but industrial strength Velcro would absolutely do the trick quickly and easily.

Wanna kiss your brilliant face!:lovey:

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can tie both legs to the milk stand to help with the kicking and dancing.

You can tie a rope on one leg, go up to the collar, then back to the other leg. When she kicks she will pull her head down or pull the other leg out from under her. This will be self induced pain.

You can mix some cayenne pepper with a few drops of oil. If she tries to bite you, get some of that cayenne oil in her mouth.

I find it helpful to secure the head as tight as I can to the head gate, it gives them less wiggle room. I tie the head up high too. They cant turn around and bite if the head is high.

If your stand is next to the wall, you can put a box or something between the wall and the goat, to keep her from crowding the other side. Or tying both front and back leg to the legs of the stanton will keep her from scooting over.

If she is still laying down on you, and you cant milk her with a bucket under her chest. You can get a 2x4 and cut it to chest height and use that. You might have to make it with a top piece like a ' T '

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Velcro!!! You magnificent bastard, Velcro is freaking genius!

I've been struggling with belts and ropes that I can never fasten tightly enough on my pygmy doe, but industrial strength Velcro would absolutely do the trick quickly and easily.

Wanna kiss your brilliant face!:lovey:
LOL!!!

I actually bought these goat hobbles for the cuffs and then modified them for my own purposes: http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Goat-Hobble.html

i took the velco cuffs off of the center spacer strap and just tied some nylon parachute cord to the rectangular ring that the velcro goes through before folding back over on itself. I don't have rings on my stand or anything so I just run the rope under the stand from one leg to the other. This way if they pull up on one leg it pulls the other and they have to put the first leg down to stay steady. Works like a dream, and teaches them not to kick by consitent self correction and immediate reward for proper behaviour through no effort on my part.... rather than just physically preventing them from kicking they learn to behave themselves... though some take longer to learn that and some need reminders each time they freshen.

also, to properly hobble a goat for milking so they can't fight it with hobbles like the one pictured, if you aren't going to use them to tie the feet down instead, you actually should put the hobbles up above the hock, not down by the ankle. Like this: http://fiascofarm.com/photo_images/hobble3.jpg but put the ring at the front of the hobble, not the back to prevent the point of the hock from getting stuck in the ring if she fights and they aren't tight enough to prevent slippage. I saw a thread on here where someone had a Nigerian have that happen so it made me very careful before i changed how i used them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts