Hypocalcemia question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Feb 8, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK my Nubian doe is due to deliver at any time. When the ice storm hit she was getting alfalfa for the calcium. This was given in addition to her regular grass hay. Well I am out of the alfalfa and I don't know when I will be able to get more. I have a calcium injection that I can give her but don't know if I should be giving it now, before the kids are born or wait until after she delivers and shows signs of hypocalcemia. I have been giving her 2 tums a day since I ran out of the alfalfa. Will the 2 tums a day be enough to supply the calcium need? or do I need to add more. Her udder is getting really large and tight. From what I have read, hypocalcemia is not something I want to deal with at all if I can help it. Hopefully she will wait until Thursday to have her kids but we are expecting a storm tomorrow, rain this time and its warm.
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    well if she isnt showing signs of being hypocalcemic then I really wouldnt worry about the change in diet. Just keep on doing what you have been doing. I recomend always having CMPK gel on hand for calcium suplement.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Shes not showing signs of anything being wrong. The only other change in her diet is that shes getting a lot more cedar limbs than she was. That 30ft tree is mighty tasty to them. The cedar doesn't appear to bother them tummy wise. I was just worried about the lack of extra calcium in the last few days/weeks of her pregnancy. I can see at least 1 kid moving around in her belly and she has dropped considerably. Poor thing looks miserable.
  4. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    OK I just went through all of this......Where do you get the CMPK gel?