Hypocalcemia???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capi71, Feb 6, 2009.

1. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    I have a nubian doe that is due to kid on Feb 8 or the 28th. I purchased her bred and the breeder didn't have good records. This will be her 3rd kidding. It looks like her babies dropped about 4 days ago, but no other signs of labor.
    Yesterday she went off her feed, is acting really sluggish, slitty eyed, keeping away from the rest of the herd and will let me do whatever I want with her (NOT normal!!) Yesterday I started to treat her as if it is Hypocalcimia (SP?). Gave her Nutri drench, Calci drench and SQ B complex. Last night it looked like she might be fine and nibbled feed and hay. Today she is back to unusual behavior and her skin is really tight on her back. It was hard to give her an injection of B. Now I will say that she fought me on the drenching today, but I am very worried and not sure what else to do.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is she running a temp at all? How full is her bag getting? Does she look like she might be delivering any day?

I would also offer her Baking soda and make she she does hot have a little heart burn from those babies.

I would keep a eye on her and it sounds like you are doing all the right things.

3. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    Thank you!!
    She has access to baking soda and I freshed it up yesterday. I really can not tell if she is close to deliver or not. Her bag is getting big, but not as big as it should be. I will run out and check temp now.
    BRB

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Is the Feb 8 date 150 days? Sounds like she's ready to kid...have you checked her ligs?

5. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    Her temp is 102.6
    called vet....Goat Dr is not in. The one I spoke to said to give her 60cc of mineral oil. Just in case....Ahhhh waste of time!

6. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    The breeder said 150 would be Feb 8 or 28 she couldn't read her scribbles on the breed date. :?

She is so boney that I am having a difficult time finding her ligs. But no discharge...NONE!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes they never have a discharge before kidding.

It wouldnt hurt her to have some more calcium just in case she is deficent.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If you do give her more Vit. B you can give it orally instead of as a shot. Since you said the skin on her back was really tight, it would be easy to just give the B orally.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    With hypocalcemia, it's better to give the injectable CMPK or Norcalciphos, 30cc subQ.

10. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    Thanks! I am going to vet today....non goat vet....wish me luck!! :hair:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is this doe doing? Did you get some ineluctable CMPK for her or maybe she kidded.

I have been thinking about her and you. Let us know.

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    if I were you I would give her calcium every day until she kids... if it IS hypocalcaemia then really all that will help is the injectable type that has already been mentioned. But for me, I give them Tums to help prevent it...

and that's a good point I need to get Tums for Demi AAAAAAAAAARGH

LW

13. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    through tears I type...... we lost Tiara and her babies. Don't know why....I am devastated. There was alot going on with her when I got her and the pregancy and recent weather changes caused Hypocalcemia mayby entero once off feed, but then she went down and that was it.
    Such a sad loss of life!
    Today I went to see the breeder that I bought her from and all her goats look horrible...very wormy with white eye membranes. :sigh: Now I know better when purchasing a goat....I just thought I had gotten her back to health before delivery. This will weigh on me heavily!

Oh and the vets were no help and refused to give meds...they wanted me to give her mineral oil. STUPID! :veryangry:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH NO. I am so so so sorry about you loss. :hug: I know how hard you tried with her but really it sounds like she was in bad shape when you got her and a pregnant doe that is in bad shape when she gets pregnant sometimes there is just no helping them.

I am so sorry. I sure wish I could reach into this screen and give you a hug. At least she was so loved and taken care of her last bit of time she had.

She is now over the Rainbow bridge and happy as ever.