Hypothermia

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, Mar 17, 2010.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well, poor little lambie.

he was born about 3 days ago, a runty twin, while I was still gone. his mother is the biggest fattest sheep that we have. She always looks like she is expecting at least quadruplets, although this is the first time she has ever had more than a single. In fact, now that she has lambed, she looks no thinner than beforehand...

The little guy is pretty thin... and was born with a crook in his neck meaning that he cannot raise his head higher than his back - and even that is an effort. When he tries to lift his head, his hindquarters flop because of the restriction. Which means, of course, that he cannot feed on his own.

yesterday I fed him four times, making sure that he had PLENTY of milk from his mama throughout the course of the day. His last feeding was at about 10 last night...

... I went there this morning and he was laid out on his side, eyes partially open, freezing cold and as stiff as a board - literally. Like, rigor mortis stiff. So I thought "well so much for that, he's dead" and picked him up by his neck (to demonstrate how stiff he was, the rest of his body did NOT flop when I picked him up that way) also, I could not see his heart beating or any sign of breathing.

however... he reacted. His little hind leg moved slightly and he gave a pathetic little bleat. So I RAN. I RAN for the house, clasping his little stiff body to me, and filled a sink with hot water and submerged him. After about 1 hour of this, and then 1cc of vodka/syrup/coffee mix, he was loosened up, and I have stomach tubed him 60cc of his mother's milk.

I now have him on my lap wrapped with a towel and hot water bottle and he is shivering convulsively. He cannot lift his head off my lap - it flops - and he is drooling mucus. He cannot move his legs, however, he does shake his head a little when I flick water in his ears which is a good sign!

I think i've pretty much done all I can, although i am considering giving him some penicillin just in case he decides to contract pneumonia now...

...anything else I could do for the poor wee fellow?

LW

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    no you are on the right track weevil, keep him warm. I have found that if they have one episode like this, they are prone to it. they cant maintain their body temp and they will relapse again and again into hypothermia. unfortunately that means you are stuck with a bottle kid, unless you can keep him and mum inside in heaps of straw, with him rugged ...

the shivering is good, it means his body is not completely shut down, its shivering to raise the temp.

keep him warm, more alcohol, glucose, milk if needed. you know what to do.

I'd wait with the pen. see if he is gonna pull through. no point wasting it

good luck, keep us updated. I'd take him off your hands and nurse him along if I was there

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ya Keren, you can have him!! He's all yours! Such a stunted little lamb, it's kind of cute. He can stand assisted now although he is SO narrow he pretty much topples sideways if a breath of wind touches him haha. Need to get him under the heatlamp at the barn now - i have things to do - i can't carry him in my arms all day!!! (unfortunately)

sadly I dont know that his mother will want him back after all the bathing etc. He will definitely be under the lamp for a while, so that wont help - however I do have her milk for him so at least he wont be getting some other scent from that.

LW

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well... Paddy was doing way better this afternoon. He managed to walk around a little bit and perked up so much that I offered him back to his mother for a few hours this evening (planning on putting him back under the heat lamp for the night, but not wanting her to forget him completely). She seemed to accept him and was talking to him and nuzzling him and so after watching them for a bit I left them and went back to the house.

I just went back up to the barn to check on them to see her knock him over - I clouted her and picked Paddy up to feed him - to find that she had (previously, as when I saw her, she didnt hit him particularly hard) she had actually cut his head open to the SKULL about 1 inch long!!! Poor little boy now has a nasty wound on his head which doesn't exactly help matters! I was SO furious, you have no idea. Like. FURIOUS. I can't believe she would DO that!!! He is now back under the heat lamp and I have no idea what I am going to do with him/her. I sprayed some antibiotic-spray on his head - it has stopped bleeding and isn't open too much although when you touch it the skin slides away from the skull which is kind of gross - so I am hoping it heals without stitches.

LW

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh weevil, that sucks :(

is there any market at all for bottle lambs in your area? for kids pets and such?

perhaps you might be able to sell him once he's a little stronger. I know you're not really set up to do bottle babies.

but it really sounds like he is gonna be a bottle kid. honestly if he were mine I would give up on the ewe and just bottle him.

poor Paddy :( wish I could snuggle him

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well I successfully fostered him to the last remaining ewe to lamb, at about 5 this morning (3 hours ago). I made sure he was fed etc and left him with her.

Just went out now and his mouth is cold again and he's going all floppy. BAH well can't exactly call that a success from HIS point of view. He is now back under the lamp.

I guess Paddy is now a pet!

LW

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    see, thats what I mean about once they do it once, they keep doing it ... sigh ...

give Paddy a snuggle for me :)

and ... you know ... a pic would be lovely :p

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ok! Here are some pics of little Paddyness

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

he's warmed up now from the heat lamp. So annoying that he can't maintain his body temperature :( I tried introducing him back to his foster mum just to see what she thought of him - so she knocked him over.

ordering milk replacer now!!! (due to Whisper being sick, there's no spare goats milk BAH)

LW

9. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh my gosh I love him! You can just wrap him up and send him this way! :)

On another note- great job pulling him through this!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What a sweet little one. I hope he is able to maintain his own temp soon.

Good job with him.

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well he's not through YET. he hasn't pooped for about 24 hours now - unless you count a almost-rock hard little yellow pellet he just expelled. Gave him a little warm water edema (2mls!) and 1ml olive oil by mouth. Hopefully that helps. Unfortunately it also means that he is not interested in eating again :(

LW

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh weevil :( you dont deserve to have more troubles with him *sigh

there is always the possibility that 'something' is wrong with him and he's not supposed to survive ... but you know that.

hopefully he poops for you soon

he's a beautiful cute little lamb <3

oh and I love the hair LOL

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    He's doing well this morning, he took a little milk and he pooped some, so that is good news. Now I have to go to work so hopefully my friend will look after him successfully for the next 36 hours or so til I get back!!!
    LW

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Something else you can do is give Karo syrup to help with the constipation.