The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I’m getting a few pigs soon to to butcher and sell for some extra money.
What do you guys feed them?
How do you feed pigs?
Shelter?
Fencing?
Waterers?
Keeping them cool/warm?
Any information would help, I really don’t know what I’m doing. I’m definitely doing a lot of research but I thought I migh As well ask! Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi there! We raised 2 meat hogs last summer.
When they were young they got pig starter from TSC. I don't remember how much.
We fed them 2 times a day. When they got older, at each feeding they got 4-5 lbs of pig grower, all the kitchen scraps, and sometimes a bucket of sour cream on top which is supposed to fatten them up. We just dumped it in a little home made wooden trough on the ground.
For water we had a couple rubber feed pans we filled up twice a day with fresh water
For housing they had a simple pallet shelter with some hay inside. They snuggle up to keep warm.
For fencing we used 6 hog panels from TSC, and we rotated it every 2 weeks or when they had rooted up their whole pen.
They had a little mud hole in the pen for when it got hot out too. Sometimes we filled it with the hose if it was going to be hot.
We sold half a pig for $400 I think.

Things I would change. If we raise pigs again I would definitely do electric fencing. It would give them a lot more area to cover if you want them to root up an area for a garden or something like we did. And its a major pain to move pig panels that are covered in poop, it took us 4 people to do it.
I would also find a way to have the trough somewhere we didn't have to go in the pen to fill it. Its not fun to fight hungry pigs to get to the feed dish.
They were really sweet though. We named ours Bacon and Bummer. When we scratched Bacons back with a stick he would roll over like a dog. They smelled though.
Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't think we made a big profit though. Broke even and had a freezer full of home grown meat which makes it worth it. You could probably cut down grain costs by giving them a bigger area to forage. They do a really good job, ours just didn't have a lot of room. We went through a bag of grain a week pretty much which is a lot. You can also talk to stores that have old produce and stale bread. Sometimes you can get a lot that way too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Pigs are a lot of fun to raise! They grow so fast and change from day to day. We used to raise top hogs and could make a little money at it, but then the bottom fell out of the market. However, if you can find a specialty market, you might be able to make some money. Or if you just want to raise your own meat, it can be rewarding. The cost of feed now is too prohibitive for me to raise them any more even just feeding corn. Sadly I can buy a 250 pound hog after our county fair for less than $150 (some less than $100). Some things to consider are shelter. We always provide a simple dirt floor shelter facing the south for them to get out of the weather in. Provide lots of water, both in a container for drinking and on the ground for wallowing in. That not only helps keep them cool (pigs can't sweat), but the mud helps keep them from getting sun burned and keeps the flies off them. Fencing has to be about the same kind as goat fencing. A hog is a bulldozer on legs. A strong barbed wire along the bottom will deter some from rooting under, but sometimes you have to put a ring in their nose or bury tin along the bottom of the fence. As far as feed, we fed primarily corn or a corn based pellet feed. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Hello!
I'm getting a few pigs soon to to butcher and sell for some extra money.
How do you feed pigs?
Shelter?
Fencing?
Waterers?
Keeping them cool/warm?
Any information would help, I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm definitely doing a lot of research but I thought I migh As well ask! Thanks!
Are you planning on dry lotting them, running them in woods, pasture?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 3 American Guinea Hogs, a small heritage breed, that I got last year as feeder pigs. I'm definitely not making money, haha, but, I'm not trying to, and I'm profiting in other ways.

Purina grower/finisher (or Nutrena depending on what feed store I'm at).Also give veggie and fruit scraps that the family doesn't eat or that the food bank up the road is about to toss in the dumpster.

Fencing?
We fenced off about 1/2 an acre with 4 ft woven wire with a strand of electric at the bottom to discourage rooting and another strand about midway up. Our charger went out once, and as the pigs never seemed to challenge the fence, I was slow about fixing it. Looked out the window one day several months later, and the older gilt had lifted the entire gate off the hinge and was out rooting around in the field. Guess who went out and ordered a new battery for the charger right away?--yours truly. The electric seems very effective as a back up. I've heard of people (including the breeder who we got our pigs from) having sucess with elecric netting like the kind you can get from premier1.

Waterers?
I have water in two big rubber buckets and an old turtle sandbox that my kids weren't using anymore. Before that I had water in one of those blue plastic kiddie pools that you can find at the dollar store. It lasted about 4 months before they destroyed it. If doubled up, they might have lasted longer. I tried using one of those 55 gallon barrels with a nipple waterer in it (see videos on YouTube). Mine never took to it, but they might have if I had deprived them of other water sources.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts