I’ve got a dilemma...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by smwon, Aug 27, 2008.

1. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I have one doe kid and will be breeding her from the breeder I bought her from. The buck will be unrelated to my doe. I can’t afford to buy another kid and want a buck so I can eventually have a closed herd. Would it be safe to use a buck from my doe? I know that eventually most herds end up line breeding simply because you can’t have a separate buck for each doe and many keep doe kids to increase their herd.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A long time ago, when we 1st started into goats we could not find a buck at the time ,but had purchased a doe that had a nice buck kid,unrelated to all others,,,we had to use him for all our goats and believe it or not this young buckling was only 4 months old ,,he was very big in size and serviced all 20 goats plus his mama ,,we did not want to do it that way but had no choice at the time........His dam kidded had twins but were smaller
    than normal,,,did not grow as well............................we later bought another buck for the next season and split up the heard for breeding,,you are describing inbreeding ,,,not a good practice to keep doing....linebreeding is OK as long as you know the genetics and out way the bad vs the good...
    breeders linebreed (only good know genetics) together because if you have a doe that has a bad problem with fishteats or bad bites or whatever they may throw,,and you linebreed to a buck with the same genetics you could get a very bad outcome,,on the other hand breed to a perfect inline match and all the good traits come through.............,,whatever you get out of the breeding with the other breeder,,, I would try to maybe trade with someone to get an unrelated buck,,,that would be your best bet down the road or eventually have 2 bucks and let each breed unrelated kin or later ,, linebreed some that have good traits...........Hope this helps.............

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, a trade off with the breeder would be something to ask about....even if your doe would have twin doelings, see about a swap for a buckling...I wouldn't breed son to mother or brother/ sister because you very well could end up with really bad traits and those kids would be worthless to you as you wouldn't be able to sell them and it would be too heartbreaking to cull them. A trade with the breeder would be in your best interest if a healthy closed herd is your goal. How old is your doe?

4. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Hi, I kept a bucking from my doe for my buck and the first year I took his mama to a friends for breeding and let him breed the rest which weren't related. The next year he bred his mama by accident and she had perfect twin doelings that did just the same as the ones she had the year before by the unrealted buck. I now have a 2nd buck and she is in the new bucks group, but if both of the goats have good confirmation, size and health, in my experience, it won't cause a problem. No 2 headed freakshow goats. I have actually had barn cats that a full brother bred his sister and she had 6 normal kittens, so I think that limited "in breeding" is not much of a risk. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me but that is my opinion.
    Denise

5. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I was aware of some of the problems that can occur with inbreeding and line breeding. I wouldn't use the buck from my doe if he had traits that I didn't want passed on. I would wait until the next breeding and see what I got. I don't believe my breeder would trade. She says all her bucks are banded before they are sold. I can bring my doe back to her to breed, but she won't let go of any buck, he has to be banded first.

It would be limited because I only want two does and a buck. The kids would be sold. So the herd wouldn’t just keep getting further inbred.

Of course, now that think of it, I could sell the first batch of kids and use that to buy a buck from another herd... Ya, now there is an idea!

Thanks for all the help!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that would be a better idea. You will want to think of getting yourself also a wether as the buck will not be happy to be by himself

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Linda in Northern California ,,that is a real good idea .............or if there is a different breeder in your area you could offer to trade to get a buck that way also ................... :idea:

good luck~!

8. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I have a wether already and when I have another doe (from the one I have now) I can keep the wether with the buck for company.

9. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I haven't found any other breeders in my area... took forever to find this one! The only other one is about 80 or so miles away and she would not trade because she has a closed herd. Therein lies the problem and the basic reason I was thinking about keeping a buck from my doe, along with the cost of buying one.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am sure there are breeders --- just not always as easy to find as some. I had no idea there were breeders so close to me at first

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just like StaceyRoop says,, there are probably more out there, you do not know about,,,put an add in the craigslist around your area asking , anyone have a buck to trade for a doe or visa versa,it may surprise you........................... you might find someone out there that way...Of coarse when you have something to trade......

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have time yet to find them --- i remember a member who was telling me there was no one around her with goats, then in a year she had plenty of goats and was talking about the different breeders in her area. So dont give up the search if they arent easy to find

13. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh! Now that's an idea... I didn't think of Craigslist. I'll do that when the time comes.

Thanks everyone!

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your very welcome :thumb: Linda ..................in Northern California , good luck, :hi5:

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I know of one in particular, she is bend oregon, not too bad of a drive, she has some really nice stock
    celtic-stars.com
    beth

16. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks Beth, but that is 5 hours away from me... :sigh:

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yes, but i know she goes to shows in central point ans whatnot, you may be able to arrange transport with someone going your way. I just got a buck kid from somewhere south of portland, which is about five hours from me. someone was coming this way from california and picked him up for me. Goat people find a way and most are willing to help out.
    beth

18. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh I didn't think of that - good idea. It'll be a while though. There is also a herd in Rogue River, Pholia Farm and she sells bucks I believe, which would be a good thing if I was going to buy one outright. We go to Medford once or twice a month to buy groceries and going a little further to Rogue River wouldn't be a hardship.

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

they have some really nice animals. Some i like more then others. I guess the biggest advice from me is get the best you can afford. Even though you dont seem interested in showing or anything i would aim to get show quality animals. It costs the same amount to feed a good one as a bad one and in the long run you are going to get more production does who have an easier time kidding and standing up to their job as a milker. less vet bills is another thing. You can also market kids towards show homes.
    beth

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Pholia Farm would definitely be a good option. Like Beth said, some of their animals are nicer than others but they are all on milk test, which is good. Here's another breeder down in that area: http://www.algedifarm.com - they have some REALLY nice goats, lots of Rosasharn lines and they have been doing very well in the show ring this year. I think they finished two bucks.