I am about ready to give up...RANT...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by heathersboers, Feb 1, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Out of 20 kids this past 3 weeks-we have 10 left :( -Between the cold weather, and moms not wanting to be moms, and us bottle raising babies-and me being 34 weeks pregnant-I can't take it anymore- We are up to about 40 goats now-and it's an all day thing taking care of them...And the feed costs-Lordy-It costs us about $150 a week to feed these critters-I am just so fed up with bringing half frozen babies in the house-only for them to still die... I even went outside yesterday and one of my does had triplets-a solid red, a paint, and a traditional-all DOA laying in the hay. It's just so heartbreaking...I think I am going to cut down some.... :sigh: (sorry y'all-Im feeling down now)

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am really sorry. I can't imagine how hard it would be. Just remember things will get better I promise they always do. Just keep trying. I can see why you would want to cut down and I dont blame you either. I would prob. do the same thing.

3. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

:hug: that must be really difficult. I'm sorry you have to experience that. :hug: hope things get better for you soon.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I am so sorry....there are joys and sorrows when raising goats. If you like your herd right now, I would recommend just doing what you can for the rest of the kids to try and keep them alive. But don't just start selling them off to quickly, give yourself some time to mentally rest and think over what you want to do. At times I have felt like selling all my goats and when I think back I am like...was I crazy!! What would I do without them!?! Things will get better....don't give up on your herd quite yet. Maybe slim the numbers down later this year, but I personally would hang onto them for a bit longer until you are feeling better about everything.

Is there something wrong besides the cold weather...for half your kid crop to die doesn't sound to good. I hope you can figure it out, but this is definately a learning experience for you.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I wish that I was closer so that I could take some to help with the burden

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks Kelebek..It's a handful..Most of our moms are first timers, and they took one kid and not the other-or they would just stand there and not clean them off. We had them all in the barn-but it was still 15* outside-some of the moms would be busy cleaning one kid off and the 2nd would still be in the sac when we found them. Funny thing is -all of our commercial or non registered does kids were fine... up and running-The reg. does are what the problems have been. We did have 3 kids -their legs were so long-they couldn't stand-All of our goats get medicated feed-selenium, alfalfa and coastal hay-so I am at a loss..?? This is the worst kidding year we have ever had-I will NEVER have any more kids born in January!!!

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
  8. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Sorry for your loss. I am still new to goats, but the guy I bought most of my herd from stressed to me that if it were up to him he would NEVER breed to have kids in cold weather. My buck didn't even get to go see the does till the end of October. The babies I have now were from does that I bought already bred, and even then they kidded about two months earlier than the seller said they would.

Evan

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You know dogone well wanting to give up comes with the territory but STILL you had a VERY disheartening season!
    But you have to pick up the pieces & go on. It sounds like your management had nothing to do with these air head FFs.
    I mean you had them all in barns right? Fed good hay & plenty minerals.
    Make your decisions after the dust has settled.
    Im so sorry.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'm having a tough season too :(

the night is darkest just before the dawn...

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

yes they were in the barn-individual kidding stalls with shavings and heat lamps-We didnt even have all that last year and they did better last year in the pens in run in shelters :shrug: -Our bucks decided to breed later this year than they usually do-we usually have NOV-Dec kids-I believe they would have been fine if born last week-It was 70 degrees-they picked the coldest nights that week we had the cold snap-But that's how it works... We will now use lutylyse this year so we KNOW when they are bred instead of guessing a round-about time!! I believe what we are going to do is look back at last years records and see who had problems-if they are the same ones as this year-they are gone!!

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    oh, yeah. I don't know what it is about goats and sheep. They ALWAYS want to birth on the coldest nights.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your losses.... :( that would be devastating.... my heart goes out to you..... :hug:

14. LomaVerdeBoers

LomaVerdeBoers New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    :grouphug: Sorry for your loss, but it comes with the territory when breeding for show/registered animals. I have mostly unregistered boers that don't all have correct color or perfect teats, but they are healthy and beautiful to us. We do breed them to a registered buck that is as close to perfect as we"ve found. We breed for meat first, then for show qualities. Some of these judges are being unrealistic and aren't wanting a practical market goat.
    I know what you mean about the cold being a big part of it. It definately didn't help that you had a lot of first timers. Sounds like you did best anyone could as far as management though, so keep your head up. Keep good records so you can weed out any troublesome does.

We had a doe kid triplet does last week, two made it, one was too weak and had suffocated. We didn't know she was already bred when we bought her, she let our buck mount her in October so we didn't expect anything till
    March? She cleaned them up pretty good and wasn't in a kidding stall. We just went out to feed and found the kids.

15. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    What I've learned over the last 2 years is....the more animals you own, the more losses you'll suffer. It's just a fact of life. The first year we had our farm I was ready to give up! Now that I have more knowledge and I'm 2 years older :greengrin: I'm not so easily ready to give up. Hang in there things could always be worse :hug:

16. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    So sorry to hear about your babies! This weather is CRAZY and so unpredictable! We are 3 hrs from you, but if you need help (and there isnt snow or ice anywhere) we would love to help you out! We are having the same problem with our chickens this year! its enough to make you go nutty!

Best of luck until the warm weather comes back!

Christina and Chris

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    This cold has got to be really tough for you folks in the south. It's hard to be "ready" for something that almost never happens. I'm so sorry for your losses...I almost quit last year when I lost a doe...very disheartening. Hang in there, it'll get better. :hug: :grouphug:

18. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    oh my - I am so sorry tat you are having such a horrid time.

Try and relax - you have your baby to think about and that's the most important of all.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry also. I could not imagine taking care of all those goats in the first place, but being pregnant also? WOW. I give you credit.

I hope things turn around soon. Do you have any babies due after your due date? I hope not because you will be going crazy.

20. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    My next kiddings will be in April -only about 3 are due then- we will be breding for October-Nov kids-so I can have a break...